Tailbeacon Installation

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Tailbeacon Installation

Post by 6930 »

Folks,

Has anyone that flies out of the region covered by the Greater Chicago FSDO (used to be called the DuPage FSDO) installed a Uavionix Tailbeacon in their 140?

My A&P/IA has told me that the FSDO here specifically told him that he cannot install the tailbeacon. Why?....who knows. Both he and I are aware of the FAA policy memo that states that the 337 goes to Oklahoma City and does not require approval by the FSDO, but he still has to comply with the requirements mandated by his local FSDO contacts.

So, my situation is that I cannot install my Tailbeacon unless I can find another A&P/IA to sign off the 337 and complete the logbook entry. I wanted to check to see if anyone else here in Northern Illinois has had success in getting a Tailbeacon installed and how they went about doing so.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10
Name: Larry Lowenkron
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140A
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Tailbeacon Installation

Post by 8175 »

When stuff like that happens to me, I call the FSDO myself.
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

Thanks, Larry.

I've been thinking of doing that myself. Not sure if that will stir a hornets nest or not...but I may try it.

Mike
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

No, find another IA that will sign off on the 337, following the FAA Policy Letter just do the installation per instruction and then send 337 directly to OKC without FSDO contact. When FAA Washington issued said statement they did it in interest of safety and for at least once showed some practical rational. As long as any IA is approving any 337 based on "approved data", don't need FSDO!!!! The change years ago was to lessen the burden :D on FSDO folks and give the IA the strength one is authorized.

If push comes to shove and you ask FSDO and that is their policy, then ask for a letter to that effect but you would be opening a hornets nest. You are not required to go thru official channels - call the Washington Office and state your case - tell the iA what you plan to do and see if his story changes
Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8362 »

Could you work with your avionics shop?
If you’ve been a customer for a while they might work with you.
Name: Tamer A
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8359 »

Tell your IA to ready block 3 of this sample 337 from uavionix:

https://uavionix.com/downloads/tailbeac ... -Rev-A.pdf
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

Thanks for the input everyone. I have a couple of options I might pursue, including contacting area avionics shops or even one of the “authorized” installers listed on the Uavionix site. But first I was hoping to hear if anyone here in Northern Illinois has worked through this yet.

There are a ton of 140’s in this area and I’m thinking I can’t be the only one dealing with this issue.

Regards,

Mike
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

6930 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:39 amMy A&P/IA has told me that the FSDO here specifically told him that he cannot install the tailbeacon.
Maybe the FSDO put him in a time out... Have you tried another IA?
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

Hi John,

Something like that is going on....another IA for this I’d definitely on my radar scope.

Mike
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

I've looked into this situation for you. Here's the bottom line. The Tail Beacon is not "STC'd" to a zillion aircraft like the Sky Beacon is.

The tail Beacon was only STC'd for the 172. Everyone else, Mooneys, Pipers, Cessna's (other than the 172) have to submit a "Follow on" 337, basically piggybacking off the original 172 STC. This is SOP( Standard Operating Procedure) these days for many ADS-B installs.

There are specific instructions and FAA AC's that spell out how to do this. If you find a copy of the Summer Newsletter #411-2019 I have an article specific to an install of the Garmin GDL 82 which also requires a "follow on" approval for the 337. You could read that and your IA would know what to do.