Sugestion for Tech forum

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.

Is a generator an airframe part or a powerplant part?

Airframe
33%
Powerplant
48%
Neither
14%
Both
5%

Total votes: 21

Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Blasting people into the sky with rockets.

Sugestion for Tech forum

Post by 8170 »

Would it be difficult to have sub categories for the tech forum? Maybe like one for engine/prop one for airframe/structures, flight controls, landing gear, etc. Just a thought..
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"
Rob Swanland
Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: C-140A
Occupation-Interests: Website & Forum Administrator

Re: Sugestion for Tech forum

Post by Rob Swanland »

Hi Joe... your idea about dividing up the tech forum into sub-categories is not difficult to do. I purposely did not want to create too many layers in the forum as that can cause some level of confusion. For example is a question concerning the main gear box a topic for "airframe" or "landing gear". I will consider your suggestion - my goal is to have the forum provide a high level of usability. Maybe we can get some other members to opine on this. Thanks for the suggestion and feedback - I really value this! --Rob
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

I think the idea has merit, but I also agree we don't want too many layers. We'll either end up with "OMG, I'm not sure where to post my question", or we get questions about the best polish for the windscreen under Continental power plants...

Maybe 3 topics: airframe, powerplant and modifications?

Question for the group: Is a generator an airframe part or a powerplant part? ;)
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

My 2c - I think the "thread topic" as is now provides adequate detail to determine any interest - these are "simple airplanes" and I'll bet most people read all the entries so as not to miss anything - kinda like scanning the newspaper. Well maybe its 4c! :D :)

Big Edd
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

...tend to agree with Big Edd -- I read'em all. But, then, I read a recent AOPA med article warning that those of us who may be "aging" are likely to have increasing difficulties @ multi-tasking (No -- I'm not suggesting that Edd is "aging"...just me!;-). I could probably handle the 3 topics & certainly see the logic & merit there. Good suggestions. (And, I'll bite, John: Airframe?). Mac
Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Blasting people into the sky with rockets.

Post by 8170 »

Thanks for entertaining my idea. I wrote, worked and taught out of tech pubs for most of my life so breaking it down ATA style is just a habit. :)

Generator/Alternator is technically an accessory of the power plant :)

Joe
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"
Rob Swanland
Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: C-140A
Occupation-Interests: Website & Forum Administrator

Post by Rob Swanland »

Excellent feedback; great discussion. My hope for both the forum and the main website is to attract more interest in the Cessna 120/140 type as well bring new people into the aviation discussion in general. My strategy is to make the main website an interesting place for a wide range of aviation enthusiasts while the forum is more focused on the 120/140 type issues. What do you think? I really need help to make this happen. Keep the cards and letters coming please... Rob
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

6643 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:50 pm I think the idea has merit, but I also agree we don't want too many layers. We'll either end up with "OMG, I'm not sure where to post my question", or we get questions about the best polish for the windscreen under Continental power plants...

Maybe 3 topics: airframe, powerplant and modifications?

Question for the group: Is a generator an airframe part or a powerplant part? ;)
I like the forum the way it is. A good search typically yields results.

Later on, Should we get that involved, we could always add addition sub areas. I've seen it on other sites that break it down further than us. I guess that's ok if we have appropriate headers.

For John's question on Generators:

"Airframe".

Only items that should go in the engine log book are the items in the engine IPC or that it takes to get the engine to run.
Starter.
Ignition
Carburetor
(turbo engines may include some exhaust parts)
Turbine engines- "starter/generator" can be an engine entry. ............sometimes, depends on the engine and airframe manufacture.

This is something I hammer into my techs all the time. I suppose to be safe you could include it in both log books.........

Next question, is a prop change an engine or airframe log book entry............ ;)
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

Either method is okay with me, sub sections or do a search of previous posts.

As for generators. Is that item not categorized as an accessory on the engine; therefore, would a log book entry in the engine log book be appropriate? May be on the dark side of the moon here.
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

The generator or alternator produces charging voltage to the airframe. The regulator, fuses or breakers are airframe mounted and the circuitry charges the airframe battery. Therefore?
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals