TrickAir Skis

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: John von Linsowe
Aircraft Type: 48 C-140
Occupation-Interests:

TrickAir Skis

Post by 5806 »

Has anyone here installed TrickAir skis on a 120/140?
John
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: TrickAir Skis

Post by 6054 »

I have a set of Trick Air skis for my C-140, and have only flown it a few times. In theory, it is a great idea since it would be easier to take in and out of hangar, and of course, having the ability to land on paved strips without removing the skis. For me, anyway, the conditions have to be just right to get use out of the skis. If snow is deeper than maybe three or four inches and is heavy, there is too much drag, and a couple taxi runs are necessary to pack down the snow. That said, I have a C-85 and a standard prop. Last summer, I did buy a climb prop, which will probably make a big difference. Also, from Trick Air, I bought their new and improved bases, which are should glide better. I have to install the bases this winter sometime.

That said, the workmanship is very good, and the people were great to deal with. I understand someone else took over the business since I purchased mine. Would I recommend them? I think so, but the jury is still out until I put on the climb prop, and ski base change. I am very hopeful these two changes will make a big difference. At this point, I am not sure that I will be trying this out this winter. Too many irons in the fire!

Dave
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

Thanks for the response Dave,

I am curious how you supported the airplane while setting the ski angle during installation?

Regards,
John von Linsowe
John
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

6054 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:00 am I have a set of Trick Air skis for my C-140, and have only flown it a few times. In theory, it is a great idea since it would be easier to take in and out of hangar, and of course, having the ability to land on paved strips without removing the skis. For me, anyway, the conditions have to be just right to get use out of the skis. If snow is deeper than maybe three or four inches and is heavy, there is too much drag, and a couple taxi runs are necessary to pack down the snow. That said, I have a C-85 and a standard prop. Last summer, I did buy a climb prop, which will probably make a big difference. Also, from Trick Air, I bought their new and improved bases, which are should glide better. I have to install the bases this winter sometime.

That said, the workmanship is very good, and the people were great to deal with. I understand someone else took over the business since I purchased mine. Would I recommend them? I think so, but the jury is still out until I put on the climb prop, and ski base change. I am very hopeful these two changes will make a big difference. At this point, I am not sure that I will be trying this out this winter. Too many irons in the fire!

Dave
Dave - If possible could you send me the INSIDE dimension of the LOWER BRACKET that mounts at the top of the landing gear? This is the bracket that captures the gear leg. And perhaps the width of your landing gear at that point the bracket mounts? What version landing gear do you have, straight 46-47 or swept 47-48 and later?

Thanks!
John
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6054 »

Sorry for the delay. I have the straight gear on my 1946 C-140. I'm not sure what dimensions you are looking for. I'm pretty thick sometimes. As far as holding the plane up while putting upper bracket, my A&P did it while I was out of town. I do recall him telling me that the nuts were hard to get to.

Dave
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

Thanks Dave,

The lower brackets at the top of the gear leg did not fit on mine. I have the later gear (swept fwd). They sent me another set that appear to have been on an airplane before and fit fine. There is a slight taper on the rear of the gear and the bracket must fit that.

Next issue is the shape of the top bracket relative to the bend in the gear at the top. As the bracket is the bend separates the bracket from the gear at the bend by about 3/8". I am thinking this may be on purpose to not stress the shim bolts when the gear flexes. Still working that out.

One main concern is that I don't add any stress risers to the gear leg surface. Planning on wrapping with Teflon tape or this aluminum.

And why didn't I do all this BEFORE it got so cold in the hangar...
Attachments
ski bracket.jpg
ski bracket.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
John
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

TrickAir 1500 skis installed and flying. Waiting for colder temps and some snow here in Michigan. (never thought I would say that)
Attachments
IMG_7662-600w.jpg
IMG_7662-600w.jpg (83.13 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
John
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Looks cool ! saw some in flight photos hows she handle ? include air speed
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

I flew it about 1.5 hours so far and no snow landings yet. As far as flying characteristics, I did not see much of a decrease in speed. There was a very slight roll to the right that I can take half a turn on a turnbuckle to correct but probably not worth the effort. In turbulence the increased mass on the gear is noticeable as they move with the turbulence. I did not see any vibration, burble or other anomalies while doing slow flight and stalls. Landing on pavement was similar to landing on the moon. The tires are at maximum pressure (about 40psi) and the bungees tend to push down with the rear of the ski when it touches. So a smooth touch down worked best when doing a tail low wheel landing then bringing the tail up slightly after the wheels touch. They add about 75 lbs at the leading edge of the wing so the CG is further forward, noticeable, and it is a single place airplane. Full fuel and me allows 60 lbs additional weight. Small child.
John