Panel lights and other questions/observations.

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
rframe
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Panel lights and other questions/observations.

Post by rframe »

Hi all,

New owner of a '46 Cessna 140 here. I'm loving the airplane, but being that it's new-to-me I have several projects to fix/improve as well as "make it my own".

One small change is I really dislike the bubbly instrument panel overlays on early Cessna's. I removed this one to expose the flat aluminum and plan to refinish that. However I ran into a question...

I found three plastic rear mounted light bulbs that had been covered by the overlay (middle one circled in green). What are they for?

I expected at least one to be a generator warning light, but found they all light up all the time and are wired to each other.

Perhaps some intent to serve as instrument spill lighting, but not at all effective if that's the idea.

Also, while I intend to pull that panel and refinish it, I might get a new panel cut in the future. I think there are plenty of CAD-based online fabrication shops that will cut and ship a blank to my specs easy enough, but wondering if anybody has specific sources they can recommend?

Finally, the ammeter is on the load side at all times, so that even if the generator is running it's showing the total load on the system via discharge reading. This seems odd to me but is it normal in these airplanes?

I do have a cigarette lighter USB charger with a digital voltage readout, so I can see when the generator kicks in thanks to the voltage spike, but I'm thinking I want to rewire the ammeter in line with the battery so I can see if it's being discharged or charged.
Attachments
panel-bulb.jpg
panel-bulb.jpg (171.79 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
Name: Ray Hunter
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired AF, B-17, UH-1, pilot for Yankee Air Museum

Re: Panel lights and other questions/observations.

Post by 6277 »

I found three plastic rear mounted light bulbs that had been covered by the overlay (middle one circled in green). What are they for?

I was curious and looked at the parts catalog. They are instrument lights (Grimes) designed I guess to reflect light off the back of the cover.

My 1947 140 has the same system only with six Grimes lights controlled by a rheostat.
Name: Ray Hunter
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired AF, B-17, UH-1, pilot for Yankee Air Museum

Post by 6277 »

Here's a link to the parts catalog.

https://cessna120140.com/wp-content/upl ... 120140.pdf
rframe
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by rframe »

6277 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:01 am Here's a link to the parts catalog.

https://cessna120140.com/wp-content/upl ... 120140.pdf
Awesome, thank you!
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

rframe wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:45 am Hi all,

New owner of a '46 Cessna 140 here. I'm loving the airplane, but being that it's new-to-me I have several projects to fix/improve as well as "make it my own".

One small change is I really dislike the bubbly instrument panel overlays on early Cessna's. I removed this one to expose the flat aluminum and plan to refinish that. However I ran into a question...

I expected at least one to be a generator warning light, but found they all light up all the time and are wired to each other.

Perhaps some intent to serve as instrument spill lighting, but not at all effective if that's the idea.

Also, while I intend to pull that panel and refinish it, I might get a new panel cut in the future. I think there are plenty of CAD-based online fabrication shops that will cut and ship a blank to my specs easy enough, but wondering if anybody has specific sources they can recommend?

Finally, the ammeter is on the load side at all times, so that even if the generator is running it's showing the total load on the system via discharge reading. This seems odd to me but is it normal in these airplanes?

I do have a cigarette lighter USB charger with a digital voltage readout, so I can see when the generator kicks in thanks to the voltage spike, but I'm thinking I want to rewire the ammeter in line with the battery so I can see if it's being discharged or charged.

The three bulbs reflect light off the interior of the cover plate (which you suggest is not to your liking). Mine work very well and come on with the NAV lights, and like yours all light up at once.

The ammeter in my plane works as you describe, which I call "Piper" style since they wire their ammeters thusly and not to show discharge/charge as Cessna typically does. Personally I prefer it that way as can see the total load at any time. For example, after a start, the load will briefly spike to maybe 20 amps as the battery recharges. My plane has the alternator conversion though. Voltage is seen on the EFIS AI so both can be monitored at once.
simonlowther
Name: Simon Lowther
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Airline pilot Airbus 320

Post by simonlowther »

Your ammeter appears to be wired as a load-meter (piper do this) but is not correct for a Cessna. Piper ammeters have a 0 on the left and show total alternator output. Cessna ammeters have the 0 in the center with a - and + either side showing battery charge or discharge.

I guess its personal preference as to which is superior but I note that my little generator can have a positive output with the battery still discharging, the piper style would never show this but the Cessna type do.

Kindest
Si
Simon Lowther

Cessna 120 (11102)
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Post by 8474 »

I also use a cigarette lighter USB charger with a digital voltage readout to confirm my gen is doing its thing. My ammeter just bounces around all the time....
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

The ammeter is supposed to show current into and out of the battery. (Except starter motor current). If not, why would you have a zero center meter? Yours is wired incorrectly. It could be as simple as the generator wire being on the wrong (battery) side of the shunt.