Aileron moves left in cruise

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: 140A
Occupation-Interests:

Aileron moves left in cruise

Post by 7429 »

I have noticed that I can trim for cruise but my aileron will drift left if not restrained. The aileron actually moves left and then it gets to a certain point in a slight left turn and stays there. I find myself compensating automatically with rudder so I fly in a slight slip if I do not correct. Straight and coordinated flight has the yoke about 3 or 4 degrees to right of center position and only if I hold it there with slight pressure. When the yoke is in that slightly right position needed to fly straight the right aileron is slightly lower than the right wingtip.

Here are some pics of the ailerons. When the Right aileron is centered to the wingtip the Left looks like this. It has some hanger rash abut 2" from the tip that bends it up where is got pulled into a hanger door so it looks worse than it is. Still the left aileron left tip is on average higher than the wingtip. The left aileron does not as a whole look like it is high when checked at the flap edge.

Any thought on how to correct this? A rigging adjustment? I have tried to fix the aileron bend but cannot figure how to do it by just trying to reform it while on the airplane.

ARGH!! I cannot figure how to rotate the pics correctly.

Thanks!
Attachments
left
left
IMG_0176.JPG (109.74 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
left
left
IMG_0174.JPG (94.55 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
right
right
IMG_0170.JPG (103.47 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
1949 140A
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Re: Aileron moves left in cruise

Post by 6298 »

If it flew straight before the hangar rash, the damaged tip is acting as a down aileron. You have to compensate by applying up aileron to keep it wing level. Fixing the wing tip is the best option IMHO.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7429 »

I just started noticing this problem and the damage has been there for 4 years or so. Not sure it is the only issue. Anyone have suggestions to bend it back that doesn't involve removing the aileron? I am not good with sheet metal. :(
1949 140A
Name: Chuck
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Comm ASMEL, Istrument, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P/IA, Flight Engineer.

Post by 1307 »

That damage has been there for 4 years? Who has been signing off your annual inspections?
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7429 »

The pics make it look much worse than it is. Looking at the aileron as a whole the damage is quite minor.

Anyone with a suggestion for repair method or adjustment?
1949 140A
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7429 »

Well I figured out the problem and feel a bit foolish. I had moved my yoke mount for the Ipad from the left to the right yoke a few months ago. About the same time I noticed the behavior. When I had it on the left yoke it was centered in front of me. On the right I mounted it for the best viewing angle...which was off center and to the ...you guessed it, the left.

Ipad centered now. Easy fix I guess :roll: :lol:
1949 140A
Name: Ramp Rat
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Semi-Retired A&P

Post by 5099 »

I'm so glad you figured it out. I was getting seasick looking at the pictures. :lol:
America, Love it or Leave IT!
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

7429 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:01 pm Well I figured out the problem and feel a bit foolish. I had moved my yoke mount for the Ipad from the left to the right yoke a few months ago. About the same time I noticed the behavior. When I had it on the left yoke it was centered in front of me. On the right I mounted it for the best viewing angle...which was off center and to the ...you guessed it, the left.

Ipad centered now. Easy fix I guess :roll: :lol:
Sometimes its the simple things that get you. Always best to go back to "what was done last".