Clocking the prop

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Clocking the prop

Post by 6468 »

When mounting the prop with Cyl #1 TDC (compression) ,,, should the prop be in the in the 11-5 position for the best hand propping? What is the preferred position in relation to TDC? Thanks
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Clocking the prop

Post by 6643 »

Are you looking for a technical answer, or a practical one?

The engine doesn't stop at tdc; it stops about 90 degrees before (or after) tdc. So, where it stops, install the prop with the blades at about 10:00 a 2:00.

Technically, (IIRC) the #1 blade should be one bolt hole clockwise from vertical (about 1:00) when cylinder #1 is at TDC on the firing stroke.
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

There is a T/C mark (Top Dead Center) on the crankshaft flange. The prop blade goes slightly behind, or counter clockwise to T/C mark. Very close to top dead center but slightly behind it. On compression is will be at the 10/4 position from the front of the airplane.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6468 »

I forgot to mention reference position, when viewed from the front of the plane; Cyl #1 TDC prop at 11-5 (or 10-4). From the pilot seat (the correct way to call out right side/left side of engine); Cyl #1 TDC prop at 1-7 (or 2-8). Sorry for the confusion. John your right, the prop will stop where it wants. I was trying to set it up to be in a good position if & when hand propping is needed. I realize there are other considerations like balancing but I was thinking more about position for hand propping. Thanks
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

The prop will always stop in one of two positions 180 degrees apart. Randy is right, and said the same thing I did, except his references the TDC mark on the crank and mine the crank flange when #1 is at TDC. One blade should be at about 10:00 viewed from the front where the engine wants to stop.
Name: Mike P
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5675 »

If you do a compression check, the prop blade should be at the 7 o'clock position looking at the front of the engine when you get TDC on all cylinders, This is when the mag will spark for starting, TDC to 5 degrees after TDC. This should be the correct position for the propeller installation, which will give you a 3 and 9 position for hand propping, straight across blades. Propeller will stop in same position every time, coming up on a compression stroke on one of the cylinders. Good Luck