Aluminum wingtip

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Re: Aluminum wingtip damage

Post by V529 »

I see on top of your wings you have the 3 signature bumps on the aft spar of your metalized wings. I'm certain that means those wings were metalized by Farley Vincent He was heavily involved in 120/140 restoration work and mods.(eons ago) I can guarantee you that those wrinkles were not there when he covered the wings. He did seamless work.

Is the wrinkle because of your wing tip bump or was it there prior........I don't know.

I can say this. A. wrinkled skin means something is bent underneath. B. Usually forward momentum and damage to a tip will bend the wings close to where they attach to the fuselage. Composite aircraft, (think Cirrus) when they get a tip strike will buckle(actually de-laminate) the rear spar under the aft seats inside the fuselage.

Every Airplane reacts differently to a tip strike.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but take another look. Also check your carry through spars inside the cabin.

The picture may "enhance" the view of the wrinkle, but it doesn't look all that great.
Name: Daniel
Aircraft Type: Formerly a 120
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Aluminum wingtip

Post by 8451 »

Deleted
Last edited by 8451 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8451 »

Deleted
Last edited by 8451 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8451 »

Deleted
Last edited by 8451 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
V529
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

The wing tip is a separate piece. My airplane was destroyed in a wind storm in 1991. I purchased a used set of fabric wings. On one of those I had to replace the wing tip. It's a very straight forward replacement, effortless actually. (when the fabric or metalized covering is removed :x ) Cessna did supply tips as "spare parts"........back in the day.

That being said, it's held on pretty stoutly. Double row of bolts perhaps.........I'll look at my airplane the next time I'm out there.

If you can find some way with a borescope to look out there..........I would try. Also run the borescope under the area where the wrinkle is. The two areas that show damage (typically) are where the wing rib meets the spar(common enough that Cessna came out with "L" shaped doublers to rivet in those locations) and the spar itself.
V529

Post by V529 »

Where the wing bolts to the fuselage is pretty stout. I would look for damage either outboard or inboard of that location.
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8451 »

Deleted
Last edited by 8451 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Gary
Occupation-Interests: Retired Congressional Staff, Navy Reserve Retiree, Former P-3 Flight Engineer, Former aerospace technician

Post by 4945 »

V529 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:25 am The two areas that show damage (typically) are where the wing rib meets the spar(common enough that Cessna came out with "L" shaped doublers to rivet in those locations) and the spar itself.
I've been trying to find pictures of those doublers, which had been posted on this forum in the past. I believe those were part number 10004-58. I need about 4 or 5 of them and can't find them anywhere. I could easily make them if I could find a pattern or just a photo with some scale.

Gary