Sky Tec starter problems

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
cubrath
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Sky Tec starter problems

Post by cubrath »

I have the sky tec C12ST2 starter on my 140. It had an oil leak which was dripping on the alternator. We took it off and opened it up. It was full of engine oil. Left a message with Sky-tec but no response yet. Worked great but I’m guessing it will need to be replaced. Go back with the sky tec or are there other options you guys would recommend??
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Sky Tec starter problems

Post by 4004 »

I don't know anything about Skytec except have heard some "negatives" over the earlier years with ones on the big bore Continentals which had a unique starter system. However, one would think that the shaft seal could be replaced? If you need to replace, suggest you get a B&C starter. He's been in the business for years with products that he has developed/designed himself and I have worked with them on a field approval and very cooperative.
Not meaning to imply his starter requires a field approval, it is approved. I have one on an 0-200.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

We installed the Sky-Tec @ overhaul a few years back. There was a "failure" that may have been caused by the pinion not having been cut off quite enough. That said (and, admitted), Sky-Tec had a new starter on my front porch the next day -- their expense totally. We "trimmed" the pinion a bit more and the new starter has performed flawlessly...as one of our members has said in jest -- "if there's an engine failure, I can get home on the starter!". Now, since Sky-Tec has been sold to a larger organization and Rich Chiappe (One of the original Sky-Tec developers/owners) is no longer involved, I don't know about current service responsiveness and quality, but I remain a fan of the "old" company's customer focus. (I have a "mix" on our 140...Sky-Tec starter and a B & C alternator. They seem to coexist with little conflict, FWIW. Excellent quality IMO, both. :) ). Mac
cubrath
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by cubrath »

Just an update. Talked to the factory today and the version I have is 18 years old. There have been many updates over the years and no overhaul available on this model. Looks like a new one is in my future. Not sure if I’ll stick with SkyTec or go with B&C?? I’ll do a little research tomorrow. Do like the smaller companies!
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

2066 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:20 pm We installed the Sky-Tec @ overhaul a few years back. There was a "failure" that may have been caused by the pinion not having been cut off quite enough. That said (and, admitted), Sky-Tec had a new starter on my front porch the next day -- their expense totally. We "trimmed" the pinion a bit more and the new starter has performed flawlessly...as one of our members has said in jest -- "if there's an engine failure, I can get home on the starter!". Now, since Sky-Tec has been sold to a larger organization and Rich Chiappe (One of the original Sky-Tec developers/owners) is no longer involved, I don't know about current service responsiveness and quality, but I remain a fan of the "old" company's customer focus. (I have a "mix" on our 140...Sky-Tec starter and a B & C alternator. They seem to coexist with little conflict, FWIW. Excellent quality IMO, both. :) ). Mac
Had a similar issue (oil leak) and Sky-Tec replaced the unit for me also. I personally like the company's product over the original Delco Remy starter, and I'm one of those that agrees that I think you could fly the airplane home on that starter unit alone, it sure spins the engine faster than the OE unit did. Same here on the current service responsiveness, I don't know; however, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Sky-Tec unit or B & C starter. I think they're much better than the original starter:) Mike
steve140
Name:
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Barely employed Dash 8 Pilot

Post by steve140 »

I've had a B&C starter for about 15 years. No problems at all.