Slips with Flaps in the 140

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Larry B
Aircraft Type: 1948 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired Automation Engineer, Nothing to do and all day to do it.

Re: Slips with Flaps in the 140

Post by 8452 »

I have been flying around about 3500 feet above the airport several times this past week doing engine break in. When I came in this evening there was no one near the airport so I did a spiral down to the threshold with the engine idling. I was too high on the last round, but wasn’t sure if I had enough altitude for an extra turn. I pulled full flaps and slipped it the rest of the way down. I ended up touching down a little farther down the runway than I wanted, but I was able to bring it down really fast.

I normally slip instead of using flaps, but rarely use both. Worked well.
Larry Bible

Returned to the club after three years away due to life’s changes
1948 Cessna 140, O200A, Ragwing, Custom IFR Panel
1966 Mooney M20F/J
Name: Tony Becker
Aircraft Type: C-120 NC2442N
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8014 »

Being a 120 guy, I never slip with flaps down :lol: . But, seriously, if you're concerned, don't use the flaps in the 140 if you don't have to. Our planes will seldom use much runway anyway.

Tony
-----------
Tony Becker & "Rosebud"
C-120 NC2442N, S/N 12695, Feb. 12, 1947
"Flaps? We don' need no stinkin' flaps!"
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Post by 8322 »

I've got used to both... I rarely use the same landing configuration twice when I'm on my own, just to get used to different ways... I have got pretty good with my slips again. Definetly needed at times.... We flew to Johnson Creek Idaho this summer and when I was on Final I was WAY to high (Typical mountain rookie) and I DIDN'T want to do a go-round... Put that rudder to the floor and slipped her in with "all" the flaps in and by god was one of my nicest landings ever!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

8322 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:53 am Put that rudder to the floor and slipped her in with "all" the flaps in and by god was one of my nicest landings ever!
Been there, done that! It comes down like an elevator! I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I used to have a short strip with a big tree at each end. A steep approach was the only way to get in.
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Post by 8322 »

Drop like an elevator is a great description John... I went from way to high to just right in no time.

That trip made me a lot better pilot all around. It forced bits and pieces I had learned to all come together at once being in very different terrain, very different airports, etc... Had to do a go-round with a 7k density altitude, had to deal with a reasonable amount of crosswinds instead of avoid them, and the "to the stops" slip. It really built my confidence in myself and my machine while having the safety factor of doing it with highly experienced pilots a radio call away.

She was the "least capbable" plane on the trip, but by God they all envied her at the gas pump, and frankly she performed fantastic even in the challenging setting. The whole gang was impressed with how well she did, they thought I was gunna be white knucking it a lot out there. I think part of it was, we learn to fly a plane where we can't rely on horse power to solve our every challenge. So in those settings of high DA and such, yes lower performance is accentuated but its the same principles of staying in ground effect to build speed and such that we are used to... My friends flying 180hp 172s that they are used to flying with two people on board where aghast at having to nurse their planes a bit... Hell I'm used to that, just had to do it a bit more...
Name: Samuel G
Aircraft Type: '46 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8482 »

I do slips all the time with full flaps in my 140. We have a short 1200' grass strip and sometimes I like to come in a little high rather than drug in. So occasionally I will have slip it in with the flaps fully extended.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Yeah, just remember to keep the nose down! With all that drag your airspeed drops off pretty quick if you don't. You need enough energy when you get to the runway to flare and break the descent.