Firewall Blanket Adhesive

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Firewall Blanket Adhesive

Post by 8424 »

Did a quick search and couldn't find any info, so....

What is the best adhesive to attach a firewall blanket? I bought the black quilted blanket from AS&S. It has a closed cell foam backing that faces the firewall. Or is there a better way than adhesive? I put the same style blanket in my previous 140 with 3M spray adhesive...seemed to work all right.

Thanks.

Steve H
VIP529
Name: Victor
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes until the cows come home..........they're still out!

Re: Firewall Blanket Adhesive

Post by VIP529 »

I used SS 10-32 screws, carpet washers and metal self locking nuts to hold it in place. I'm not a big fan of gluing the firewall fabric to the firewall.
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 8424 »

I agree, I'd rather not glue it. My firewall is sort of a mess after taking out the glued in fiberglass insulation. It was a disaster!!

Are the self locking nuts on the engine side or cockpit side of the firewall? I would assume that the SS screw head was against the washer. Rivnuts would work nicely.

Steve H
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6481 »

...just reading thru the forum, and as a retired firefighter, I can tell you that the glue is flammable; you don't need that!