Brakes!!!

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
motherstaggerwing
Name: VICTOR
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Brakes!!!

Post by motherstaggerwing »

Suddenly, a year ago, I found myself a ‘happy’ owner of a 140 project with a nice shiny 0200 (I don't even have the stc for the 0200). Knowing nothing, I am trying to figure out the brake saga.

Sorry to open this thread, as I know this must have been banged around a lot already.

Is there a comprehensive discussion somewhere about the ‘best’ way to go? My 140 has the original brakes (Goodyear) and the wear on the splined teeth on the wheels is frightening.

I have been told that 150 brakes can be retrofitted with no 337/stc under an original Cessna authorization, and I have read on this forum that 170 ski axils can be used also under Cessna authorization.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?
Name: Huey Pilot
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Brakes!!!

Post by 2356 »

I went with the Cleveland conversion. Goodyear parts are ridiculously expensive.
VIP529
Name: Victor
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes until the cows come home..........they're still out!

Post by VIP529 »

motherstaggerwing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 pm Suddenly, a year ago, I found myself a ‘happy’ owner of a 140 project with a nice shiny 0200 (I don't even have the stc for the 0200). Knowing nothing, I am trying to figure out the brake saga.

Sorry to open this thread, as I know this must have been banged around a lot already.

Is there a comprehensive discussion somewhere about the ‘best’ way to go? My 140 has the original brakes (Goodyear) and the wear on the splined teeth on the wheels is frightening.

I have been told that 150 brakes can be retrofitted with no 337/stc under an original Cessna authorization, and I have read on this forum that 170 ski axils can be used also under Cessna authorization.

There is an STC for Cleveland brakes. I'm estimating well over half the fleet have this option. They are the best brakes currently available for our aircraft. It's simple and painless, it just cost's "money".

I am not aware that any other brake other than the original Goodyears can be fitted to our aircraft without an STC or Field approval. I've never read that or seen any paperwork to support a 150 brake conversion. I'm certain it would be simple enough to install the C-150 McCauley wheels and brakes, I'm sure they would "bolt right up"...........but I seriously doubt Cessna ever took the time to issue any paperwork approval for that install.

There are other axles that can be used, a steel axle and a solid axle...........assuming you can find one. Probably cheaper and easier to go with a new Grove axle.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

From the "archives":

Cessna Service Letter 65-41 discusses conversion of Goodyear Brakes to Cessna (McCauley) brakes on models 150 and up. SL 66-41 extends this to the 120/140 and lists a service kit, for the princely sum of $199, with all the necessary parts. Unfortunately, I cannot find a copy of 65-41. I'll ask Rob to post a copy of 66-41 in the resources section.
Name: Martin Tanguay
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5115 »

I think John, that it is printed in Reference binder. I'll check it out once I get home and may also have a computer copy in my huge C140 folder.
Martin Tanguay
Intl Cessna 120-140 Association - Canadian rep
C140, C-FJAR, 1946, sn:9168, O-200, ragwings

Post by 6643 »

6643 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:26 am I'll ask Rob to post a copy of 66-41 in the resources section.
And it is done! Thanks, Rob!
motherstaggerwing
Name: VICTOR
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by motherstaggerwing »

Thanks all,

Starting to help me get a handle on things!

Victor
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

VIP529 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 pm
motherstaggerwing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 pm Suddenly, a year ago, I found myself a ‘happy’ owner of a 140 project with a nice shiny 0200 (I don't even have the stc for the 0200). Knowing nothing, I am trying to figure out the brake saga.

There is an STC for Cleveland brakes. I'm estimating well over half the fleet have this option. They are the best brakes currently available for our aircraft. It's simple and painless, it just cost's "money".

I am not aware that any other brake other than the original Goodyears can be fitted to our aircraft without an STC or Field approval. I've never read that or seen any paperwork to support a 150 brake conversion. I'm certain it would be simple enough to install the C-150 McCauley wheels and brakes, I'm sure they would "bolt right up"...........but I seriously doubt Cessna ever took the time to issue any paperwork approval for that install.

There are other axles that can be used, a steel axle and a solid axle...........assuming you can find one. Probably cheaper and easier to go with a new Grove axle.
Well, John C has set me straight, there is an SL from the early days that addresses wheel and brake conversions, we're in the process of locating the two SL's that address it.

sorry for "not knowing"..........now I know.

Post by 6643 »

Cessna Service Letter SL66-41 has been posted in the Resources section of the web site and SL65-41 should be posted shortly. Section 4, on the last page of SL65-41, addresses what needs to be done and section 1 of SL66-41 extends it to the 120/140.
chriskirk57
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by chriskirk57 »

Does ANYBODY have a copy of the actual STC for the Cleveland Brake conversion that they could email to me? They are installed with the 337 but I can't find the actual STC in my logs!
Please... HELP!!