Hot starting techniques

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: TailWheelCharlie
Aircraft Type: C120 - GAKVM
Occupation-Interests:

Hot starting techniques

Post by 7698 »

I would be interested in starting techniques for starting engines when hot..

Here in the UK todays temp was around 30C (unusual I know) and with an oil temp of 140 my C85 refused to start until the temp dropped to below 100.

All advice gratefully received.

Many thanks
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Re: Hot starting techniques

Post by 6298 »

If the engine is hot, don’t prime it. If it cranks and refuses to start, I could be flooded. Open the throttle half to all they and crank. When it fires pull the throttle back to idle. Works for me!
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Post by 8474 »

In regards priming, I was having a problem where the mixture would not shut the 0-200 down. I had to use the mags. On top of that the idle was poor. I found the trouble shooting guide for the Marvel carb and for both problems they listed leaking primer. I disconnected and capped off the primer line and sure enough, both problems solved. I can start it both hot and cold with no priming at all, just a quick pump of the throttle and back to idle position and she fires right up and shuts down with the mixture now and idles nice and smooth.
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

8474 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:15 pm In regards priming, I was having a problem where the mixture would not shut the 0-200 down. I had to use the mags. On top of that the idle was poor. I found the trouble shooting guide for the Marvel carb and for both problems they listed leaking primer. I disconnected and capped off the primer line and sure enough, both problems solved. I can start it both hot and cold with no priming at all, just a quick pump of the throttle and back to idle position and she fires right up and shuts down with the mixture now and idles nice and smooth.
I'd recommend that you get the primer fixed. Lot less expensive in the long run especially after an engine fire during start up which can happen by pumping the throttle to work the accelerator pump on engines equipped with a Marvel Schebler carburetor such as found on an 0-200.
Name: Larry B
Aircraft Type: 1948 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired Automation Engineer, Nothing to do and all day to do it.

Post by 8452 »

If you have a carb with an accelerator pump, don’t stroke the throttle. If it doesn’t start initially with the throttle cracked open slightly, move the throttle in slowly until it finds the point where it starts and be ready to pull back to a slower speed when it does. If it has no accelerator pump, start moving the throttle forward when you begin hitting the starter.

Either way, this is a two handed operation.
Larry Bible

Returned to the club after three years away due to life’s changes
1948 Cessna 140, O200A, Ragwing, Custom IFR Panel
1966 Mooney M20F/J
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Post by 8474 »

I should have said "short" pump instead of quick. I didn't mean a full travel pump, just a short, less than an inch movement. I do plan on replacing the primer, just wanted to say that for now it starts and runs fine without the use of any prime. So even after I replace the primer I doubt I will need it.

It is a pull start so always a 2 handed operation anyway :)
Name: TailWheelCharlie
Aircraft Type: C120 - GAKVM
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7698 »

great ideas... Many thanks..

I'm never sure whether to prime or not...

I need to have a try and see what works best..
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Most carbureted engines have downdraft updraft carbs. Those where the primer discharges right above the carb (Continental C-series, for example) tend to get puddles of fuel in the carb throat at best, or the air box, when you operate the primer. Likewise, when you pump the throttle on a Marvel, the fuel goes down, not up into the intake runners. (When you pump the throttle the throttle plate opens and there's nothing to discourage the fuel from making its way down rather than up.

When I was just a budding student pilot, one of my instructors asked me what good it did to prime the engine. I told him, and then he asked "why don't you crank the starter while you're priming it?" "What if it starts before I'm done priming?" was my answer. His response was "so what?"

Since then I've never primed the engine unless I was cranking it over. No chance of an airbox fire, and always seems to work.
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

Downdraft or updraft?
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Oops... Corrected!