Wheel landing versus 3 point.

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Michael C
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Wheel landing versus 3 point.

Post by 8480 »

Hi, I'm a new guy to this association, so if my question has been covered before, I apologize. I just got my tail wheel endorsement, and in the process did both wheel landings and 3 point. I must say, I am not a fan of wheel landings. My instructor gave me some tips as when to use both of them, but I would like to hear from high time tail dragger pilots as to what you prefer, and use most of the time. My C-140 tracks very well down the runway on 3 point, but I could win the "Dancing With The Stars" contest using my rudder dance during wheel landings. So, what do most of you high time guys out there prefer, and under what circumstances? Thanks.
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Re: Wheel landing versus 3 point.

Post by 6898 »

Practice and patience dont over correct there light on the controls for wheel landing on pavement just my thought and WELCOME please try to attend convention in Branson
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
Name: Matt and Carole Rybarczyk
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 1567 »

Have about 3300 hours in my 120. I full stall three point all the time. I don't like wheel landings either. The only time I do them is during a flight review if the instructor asks me to do one.

Matt
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

I agree with Matt. Three point 99+ percent of the time. A wheel landing once or twice a year. If I nail it, that is
good for the next year or so.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name: Franklin B
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 4390 »

I prefer wheel landings. I don't like having little control just before it drops to the ground. Wheel landings can burn more runway but you have more options. This has been a controversy since the dawn of tail draggers..... Best to practice both to be comfortable.
Name: JC ASI
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Aviation, A&P IA

Post by 7365 »

I mostly wheel my 140 on, and 3 point on occasion. It's the age old debate that will never be settled. Do both, stay proficient at both..
- Josh
N4151N - Cessna 140 - WN53 - Lake Stevens, WA
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

You can get down and stopped faster and shorter with a wheel landing. Also, works best for spot landing contests. The three-pointer is a lot more comfortable for low (tailwheel) time pilots. If you never go anywhere really short or tricky you may never need a wheel landing, but it can't hurt to get proficient at it anyhow.
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

6643 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:52 pm You can get down and stopped faster and shorter with a wheel landing. Also, works best for spot landing contests. The three-pointer is a lot more comfortable for low (tailwheel) time pilots. If you never go anywhere really short or tricky you may never need a wheel landing, but it can't hurt to get proficient at it anyhow.
Years ago,when you said that, I tried to land shorter with wheel landings. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. I find that full stall landings work best on my relatively short field. We might have to stage a contest one day.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
Name: Michael R
Aircraft Type: 46 140 0-200
Occupation-Interests: Retired!

Post by 6352 »

I think this pretty much comes down to which method you are better at. Both methods have their fans who disparage the other side. I used to think wheelies were better in crosswinds but I think that was just my poor 3 pt technique (since improved somewhat). As a check pilot much more skilled than I told me, “you gotta get the tail down sometime”. And the sooner the better when it’s squirrelly. At my airport (controlled) I am often forced to land with a quartering tailwind before they switch. I don’t like doing wheelies under those conditions. But everyone has an opinion.
Mike Rabe
C140
KDVT
Name: Tamer A
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8359 »

It took me a little time to get comfortable with wheel landings, but I definitely prefer them now that I've figured it out. I agree with John, you can get on the brakes as soon as your wheels are down, with the weight on them braking is much more effective. I feel like I get blown around the runway a little more on flare with the 3-point. I think you might be able to stop in less distance with a 3 point if you have a strong head wind.

It will take some time for your feet to wake up, remember with a tailwheel your rudder movements should be "taps." Coming from a nose-dragger it's easy to have your feet fighting against each other rather than making quick corrections to remain straight. Remember: No Brakes.

Does your 140 have the wheel extenders? That definitely makes things harder, I can't wait to ditch mine. I find they tend to make the drifting, or "pulling" side to side worse.

Find a long runway, come in low and a little faster and practice high speed taxis, don't lift off or stop as soon as you can. Get a feel for it's handling at ~40MPH. I sometimes do what I call a "tailwheel assisted wheel landing" I'll come in like a 3-point, touch the tail then pop it up on the mains for the roll out. It will help you transition to wheel landings and being comfortable controlling the airplane at low altitude.

At the end of the day both methods have their advantages, being comfortable with both gives you more options when required.

Hope this helps!