Another FNG (Flying New Guy!)

A Place to Share Experiences and Discuss Aviation Stories

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Terry R
Aircraft Type: C140 / O-290
Occupation-Interests:

Another FNG (Flying New Guy!)

Post by 8455 »

Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased a Cessna 140 and joined your fine group. I'd been lurking for a few months reading up on these neat old airplanes. Couple of weeks ago N2FZ popped up on Barnstormers and was in my near area. I called up the seller, looked at it, called the wife to say I want to buy it, got her blessing and sealed the deal.

Now comes the learning part, as I am not yet a tailwheel pilot! I fly Embraer 175's for a living, have a Cessna 205 in the hangar already, but never checked off the tailwheel box. My daughter is following in my footsteps, currently working on her commercial license so I'm hoping to have both of us learn something new and have an aircraft she can use to build some good experience relatively inexpensively.

We live in Northern Colorado so the O-290 in 2FZ seems like a good idea, even if the useable load is a little low. I spent a half hour taxiing with my CFI yesterday, hoping to get lots more seat time in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the great forum, looking forward to learning more!

Terry R
Name: Larry B
Aircraft Type: 1948 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired Automation Engineer, Nothing to do and all day to do it.

Re: Another FNG (Flying New Guy!)

Post by 8452 »

Welcome!

I think it will serve you well. When I bought my 140 I wasn’t even to my private checkride yet. You will be tailwheel endorsed in due time and probably with many fewer tailwheel hours than it took for me.

Enjoy the forum and keep us posted.
Larry Bible

Returned to the club after three years away due to life’s changes
1948 Cessna 140, O200A, Ragwing, Custom IFR Panel
1966 Mooney M20F/J
Name: Horacio Berardone
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Civil Engineering, Cattle breeding.

Post by 5469 »

Welcome to the community, Terry.

When I bought my 140, twenty one years ago, in Buenos Aires, I only had tricycle experience. I did my private with a beautiful and almost new F-152. Then I bought a PA-28 Cherokee, that I flew for some years in the Congo.

When I returned to Buenos Aires, I bought my 140, and then... I realized that I needed to learn how to fly. A new world opened to me with my 140, and I started to learn again, review concepts and so on.

Today... I'm still learning !

Try reading https://airfactsjournal.com/2013/08/why ... ildragger/

This site is a fantastic place to learn, plenty of people that have both a deep and valuable knowledge, and the willing of sharing their experience and help us all the time.

Cordialmente,
Horacio Berardone Bouhébent
LV-NGL 1946 C140 SN 10.260.
Based CLN, Colón, Entre Rios, Argentina.
Formerly 9Q-CKN Based FZAB, NDolo, Kinshasa, Congo.
Name: Tamer A
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8359 »

I love my O-290 120. It really comes alive with the extra horsepower.

I did my tailwheel endorsement with Stick & Rudder Aviation in Idaho, they had me read this material prior to showing up, I felt it was helpful.

https://www.stick-rudder.com/PDF-Files/ ... ragger.pdf
Name: Michael Haas
Aircraft Type: Cessna 120
Occupation-Interests: Mechanical Engineer

Post by 7896 »

Welcome! Just curious, do you know what the empty weight is with an 0-290 on the front?
Michael Haas
'46 120 - N76219
Home Base: W96 (Quinton, VA)
Name: Tamer A
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8359 »

Mine is 1046lbs
Name: Terry R
Aircraft Type: C140 / O-290
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8455 »

Thanks for all the advice!

My plane is a little over a 1000 lbs, don't remember the exact number. I don't think I ever considered a CFI's weight before when selecting one! :)

Got some instruction time in the last few days, I'm definitely back in school!
Name: Eric O
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: A&P IA

Post by 8313 »

Welcome to the club and congratulations on the new purchase.

My TW instructor (Dad) was adamant on keeping it straight all of the time. He would always say, “I want paint on the tail wheel, doesn’t matter if your on the taxi way or the runway”.
Best of luck
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Congratulations on your new purchase! We are happy to have you! I flew to see my sister in Loveland during the 2010 Spearfish convention. I have an 0-200 engine. It did fine hauling us around the front range on sight seeing trips. You will really like your 0-290!

Keep us up to date on your progress and SEND PICTURES! I love seeing the mountains from the air. You guys have all the scenery.