WTB Ski Brackets

For Buyers & Sellers: A Place to List Aircraft and Related Parts For Sale or Wanted to Buy

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

WTB Ski Brackets

Post by 8322 »

WTB

I beleive the part number is: federal part number 11A362.

A friend of mine has skis we could use this winter but not the brackets, any ideas on where to find/buy them?

Ray
Name: Martin Tanguay
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Re: WTB Ski Brackets

Post by 5115 »

Hi Ray,
Yes for sure, speak with Troy from Aeroski. Very friendly and he will have all the answers. Tell him you got the information from the Intl Cessna 120-140 Association.
Below is an extract from an email I exchanged with him. You got the part# and all is info.

P.S.: I already have 2 flights on skis this winter, a very early season. ;)
---
The Part #'s are 3-199 Cessna Gear Leg Bracket and 3-200 for the bottom straps --- They come as a set. If you need anything further, please don't hesitate to call or email.

Troy D. Reese
Aero Ski Mfg. Co., Inc.
PO Box 58
48010 260th Street -- Municipal Airport
Brooten, MN 56316

320-346-2285
aeroski@tds.net

www.aeroskimfg.com
Martin Tanguay
Intl Cessna 120-140 Association - Canadian rep
C140, C-FJAR, 1946, sn:9168, O-200, ragwings

Post by 8322 »

5115 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 pm Hi Ray,
Yes for sure, speak with Troy from Aeroski. Very friendly and he will have all the answers. Tell him you got the information from the Intl Cessna 120-140 Association.
Below is an extract from an email I exchanged with him. You got the part# and all is info.

P.S.: I already have 2 flights on skis this winter, a very early season. ;)
---
The Part #'s are 3-199 Cessna Gear Leg Bracket and 3-200 for the bottom straps --- They come as a set. If you need anything further, please don't hesitate to call or email.

Troy D. Reese
Aero Ski Mfg. Co., Inc.
PO Box 58
48010 260th Street -- Municipal Airport
Brooten, MN 56316

320-346-2285
aeroski@tds.net

www.aeroskimfg.com

Thanks Martin! May not happen this year now... Jacks gotta go in for knee surgery now, so hes going to be laid up into January, we will see, February though could be a good month for it here, it all depends. We are hoping to finish my TW endorsement before he goes in for surgery Tuesday- I'm close, he said if every runway in the world was grass he would be about ready to sign me off. I'm still going to call and get the info on the brackets. Also looks like I may have a bit of a repair to do on a stiffener so funds for ski brackets may be diverted...I still have no idea what repair is $500 and what repair is $5000 being a newbie owner...

But I'd love to have skis, my parents live on the perfect runway lake though so I really want to. very long and narrow for a lake, it runs North and South and is private so not a lot of activity or fishing shanties, and I can go hop on a sled ahead of time to make sure no idiot left a spearing hole open or whatnot.

Sounds like you are an experienced ski flyier, if you don't mind let me ask you a few questions?

How hard are they typically to put on and off? As we don't get the solid snow cover winters here anymore.

How much Ice do you like before landing on a lake?

Is there a lot of extra stress to the gear and such with Ski's?

I also only have the Scott 2000 on the rear end, so am I really going to be able to go in any deeper snow than I already could with 800 up front without a tail ski?
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5115 »

8322 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pm But I'd love to have skis, my parents live on the perfect runway lake though so I really want to. very long and narrow for a lake, it runs North and South and is private so not a lot of activity or fishing shanties, and I can go hop on a sled ahead of time to make sure no idiot left a spearing hole open or whatnot.

Sounds like you are an experienced ski flyier, if you don't mind let me ask you a few questions?
Thank you, :oops: I would say average, I don't have 500hrs on skis, but a good 10-15hrs per season for the past 10 years. So just enough to have seen a few situations :shock: :D
8322 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pmHow hard are they typically to put on and off? As we don't get the solid snow cover winters here anymore.
Good questions. I have the straight skis Federal, the ones we see very often. Once the setup is done on the plane, ie the bracket is in place on the legs and that the bungees, limiter cables and safety cables are set on the skis, the change over from wheels to skis takes about 1.5hrs.
So the best thing if you don't get a good cover and if you need to gaz at an airport or that your plane is based from an asphalt strip, then the penetrating skis would be a better option. (Like the Trickair.....somewhat expensive but certified on C140)
8322 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pmHow much Ice do you like before landing on a lake?
They say 1in supports a man, but no way in hell would I walk my lake on 1in of ice. They also say 4inches supports a car, but that too, go explain to your car insurance you just drown your car. LOL
Those measures are based on true bleu ice, the strongest type of ice, which is rarely what we get with so many climate variations we have during the winter.
So to make it short, I'll go to lakes I know. The ones where there is snowmobile trails are getting verified all winter long. I'll go on my lake not under 6 inches, that I was able to check myself drilling a hole. There is also the slush you have to watch for when you start visiting lakes.
8322 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pmIs there a lot of extra stress to the gear and such with Ski's?
On the C140 you have to make long radius turns when the skis are in deep snow. You can imagine that making it sharp puts a lot of stress on the axles, because of the arm the ski creates with the axle and the fact that the ski in deep snow tends to give some side wobbling pulses on the axles (not sure if that is all good english :oops: )
One good reason to have a good visual inspection of the root of the axle at ski changeover. Another reason why the full alu axles or steel axles are preferred for ski operations over the hollow alu axles.
8322 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pmI also only have the Scott 2000 on the rear end, so am I really going to be able to go in any deeper snow than I already could with 800 up front without a tail ski?
I spent a complete winter without a tailski and went into all kind of snow. Not the best scenario, but it works. On takeoff you find/feel the point where the wheel is just above snow. This is just enough to put not too much pressure on the main and remove drag from the TW in the snow and gain speed.
To be honest, while we have certified Federal skis on the main, I have never seen a certified tailwheel ski so far on any light planes like the C140 category. We all have fabricated ours. It is a penetrating TW ski that attach directly to the TW fork.

Ho and before JohnC tells me that I have the wrong tension springs on my Scott 3200, I wanted to say that I have changed for the good type spring since that picture was taken :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3023.jpg
IMG_3023.jpg (207.21 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
Last edited by 5115 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Tanguay
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5115 »

More pictures, My friend's Paul 140A completely restored

Enjoy, If you have more questions let me know.
Attachments
DSC_5242.jpg
DSC_5242.jpg (229.1 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
Martin Tanguay

Post by 8322 »

That looks so fun!!