C-120 starter hard to engage

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
vindio
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

C-120 starter hard to engage

Post by vindio »

Hello all!

New (to me) 1947 C-120 with a C-90 engine. We're loving the airplane, but have noticed that the starter (T-handle) has become increasingly difficult to engage. Picture attached showing the switch actuator mechanism under the cowling (not familiar with the exact make/model starter).

Question: as a non-A&P, are there any adjustments that we can legally make? (shortening the actuator wire, or maybe extending the screw length that makes contact with the push-rod switch on the starter housing)? Or is this something we should take it to an AMT for?

It definitely feels like it's taking more and more and more effort/travel to engage the starter, to the point where I'm afraid we're going to yank the T-handle out of the panel, with the force required to engage the starter.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-22 082002.jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-22 082002.jpg (162.1 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Last edited by vindio on Sat May 25, 2024 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Re: C-120 starter hard to engage

Post by 6898 »

I cant see the starter arm, when we had that starter are's had a extended arm added think it was a continental part? But bottom line the new starter with no arms or engaged weird gear is the way to go.
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023
tonycondon
Name: Tony
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Pilot, CFI, DPE

Post by tonycondon »

mine does not have that spring. that would make it harder to pull. don't mess with the geometry of the switch. it doesn't effect how hard the pull handle is to operate anyway and it will mess up the timing of the motor turning on when engaging the gear
N2395N
Name: Josh C
Aircraft Type: 140A/C90-14F
Occupation-Interests: Telecommunications

Post by 8413 »

Best to take it to a mechanic. Each part of the system must be adjusted correctly. Here is a link that shows the process for adjustment.
https://niagaraairparts.com/wp-content/ ... 0_2003.pdf
Josh
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

Post by 6597 »

Does your arm have the extension? This would give you a little more leverage. Also, when i had a pull starter I had to make sure the routing of the cable thru the firewall didn't have any kinks or weird bends that would bind up the wire inside the shroud. I got a new cable/shroud that appeared teflon lined from McFarlanes that made it much easier to use. You can also try lubricating your cable shroud with TriFlow or some such oil.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=113

Here's a pic of the starter arm extension, I have my old one somewhere....
starterarmextension.jpg
starterarmextension.jpg (331.78 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Go to the main web site and select Resources -> Service Letters. Service letter SLN-13 covers starter gear adjustment.
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

I don't recognize the extension or the spring as something I'm familiar with. My not recognizing them of course does not make them non-standard. Also, In the photo the spring appears to be chafing on the engine mount. I'm hoping that's just a photographic illusion, and knowing who submitted the photo I'm assuming it is just that - an illusion.
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

Post by 6597 »

I don't recognize the extension or the spring as something I'm familiar with. My not recognizing them of course does not make them non-standard. Also, In the photo the spring appears to be chafing on the engine mount. I'm hoping that's just a photographic illusion, and knowing who submitted the photo I'm assuming it is just that - an illusion.
John, you are correct, it (was) not rubbing on the engine mount and it was somewhat an improvement on the 'return' tension of the pull starter cable that came with the plane when I got it. I have seen pull starters with and without a spring. Since then I'm switched to a Skytec starter so no more mussing with the pull starter. Nevertheless, I got good at troubleshooting pull starters here locally. The biggest problem I saw was cable shrouds routed every which way and the old unlined shrouds just had a lot of friction in them for the cable.
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

Thanks David. I was pretty sure that starter arrangement was in good hands if those hands were yours. The Skytek starter is undoubtedly serving you well. The owner of B&C is my very next door hangar neighbor. If (when?) I ever need to make the switch I'll probably look to my hangar neighbor for the solution. Till then, this day and age being what it is, I take some pride in yelling "clear prop" and then pulling a starter handle. That said, I admit to not being purist enough to eliminate the stater altogether.
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."
Name: Josh C
Aircraft Type: 140A/C90-14F
Occupation-Interests: Telecommunications

Post by 8413 »

John...I am in the process of installing the B&C starter and can say their technical support is outstanding. But you probably already know that being neighbors :D
Josh