UAvionix AV-30-C users

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

UAvionix AV-30-C users

Post by 6597 »

Planning on the eventual demise of my vaccuum pump on my 0-200A installation and thinking that I might remove 15# pound of DG, AI, and an unused T&B indicator.

Reading the literature for the AV-30-C I am not sure if I can replace all these with a single AV-30-C unit or if I have to get 2 units.

My intention is to eventually hook it up to a TailBeaconX so I can keep the local PDX tower happy even though I operate under their Charlie airspace.

My IA has two AV-30-C units in his Stinson but seems to think I can just get by with one, we are researching the installation/legalities details in this regard. Would probably leave it on the AI mode, I have a remarkably good wet compass and AVARE on my tablet for navigation.

Anyone have AV-30-C's and care to comment or remind me of any pitfalls?
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Re: UAvionix AV-30-C users

Post by 8342 »

In the 140 that I rebuilt I removed the entire Vacuum system including the Venturi tubes and associated plumbing. Total weight removal was 10 lbs.
My beleif is that it is a VFR only airplane and therefore does not need any of it.
But, to each his own.

Rick
rominoff
Name: Bradley Bell
Aircraft Type: '47 C140; '48 NAVI
Occupation-Interests: Software & Systems Development; A&P/IA

Post by rominoff »

I removed my T&B and installed the AV-30-C, but did not have a DG -just mag compass. I am waiting for the STC'd magnetometer to be released as the DG function of the AV30 precesses quite a bit: https://uavionix.com/product/av-mag-stc/. i will admit that i need to do the software update but am also waiting for the STC'd dongle (AV-Link) to be available: https://uavionix.com/product/av-link-experimental/. All in all, i love the little instrument and happy i put it in.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

6597 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:08 pm I am not sure if I can replace all these with a single AV-30-C unit or if I have to get 2 units.
Yeah, why do you think you need even one? IFR?

DG, T&B and AH are all optional for VFR.

(Personally, I'll keep my turn and bank. I was taught "needle, ball and airspeed" to get out of a tight situation.)

Post by 6597 »

Thanks for the replies-

First, some more details. My old KT75R xpndr has been belly up for years so my initial thoughts are what would be the most economical and easiest installation for a new xpndr and ADSB-out. The AV-30-C controlling a TailBeaconX came up the winner so far. I am up for suggestions otherwise.

To be honest my currernt DG and AH don't get much use, and the T&B has a wayward needle slightly to one doghouse. I like the ball inclinometer though. I do have a good VSI.

I think when I read the Uavionix literature they must be thinking along the lines of IFR when they are thinking of direct replacement of 2 instruments, so as I'm VFR I think I can do whatever I want.

My ADSB-in is a simple Stratux with my AVARE tablet, easy-peasy.
natechilman
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests: 737 Captain

Post by natechilman »

Which Stratux? Has it been reliable for what you need?
Thanks

Post by 6597 »

Was given 2 of these for free, I did the updates on the SD card and they both work fine with my AVARE on my inexpensive Samsung Android tablet and kneeboard. I just leave one on the hatrack with a battery/usb connection. I get traffic and weather just fine. My hangar neighbor got them years ago when they came out of someplace in Seattle, $60ea for the kits I think, then he went glass on his panel. Tablet will go on the panel when I upgrade.

https://crewdogelectronics.com/catalog/ ... ightaware/
natechilman
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests: 737 Captain

Post by natechilman »

Thanks for the info.
hotrodmac
Name: Lance B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Information Technology

Post by hotrodmac »

I replaced an inop Turn coordinator a couple years ago with a single AV-30C and I’m honestly not sure I’d do it again. I have some serious interference from my alternator that makes my compass basically unusable. That coupled with the awful gyro drift has really crippled the usefulness of the instrument for me. I hope that the magnetometer STC comes out at Sun ‘N Fun, and that it resolves my problem.

No need to wait on the certified wireless dongle. Get the experimental one and disconnect it after you do your software updates. Oh, and make sure you calibrate the angle of attack sensor in the air. I did mine originally on the ground and it was a bit aggressive.

The local avionics shop has cautioned me about the tailbeacon and tailbeacon-x for tailwheel airplanes. They have had issues with water infiltration on airplanes that sit outside. So much so that they won’t install them anymore. Your mileage may vary…

That’s a lot of cons, but here are some pros: Every time I’ve called support they’ve been courteous and easy to talk to. The Temp probe is a nice addition. It’s really nice to have airspeed, attitude, and altitude all in the same instrument.
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building

Post by 6597 »

Well, I guess I should change this thread into 'what is the most cost effective transponder/adsb installation I can do', don't know if anything would slide into the old KT75R tray but at least I have room for a tray.

Initially was thinking the Tailbeacon/AV-30-C was the way to go. I have strobes on the wingtips so figured that wouldn't work too well with the Uavionix Skybeacon unit. Good comment on the tailwheel issues with the Tailbeacon.

Other than the AV-30-C being a transponder controller and having a few nifty features I can probably not miss the current DG and AI too much.