WTB: Oil Tank Baffle and oval plugs

For Buyers & Sellers: A Place to List Aircraft and Related Parts For Sale or Wanted to Buy

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
hotrodmac
Name: Lance B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Information Technology

WTB: Oil Tank Baffle and oval plugs

Post by hotrodmac »

I know this is probably like looking for a unicorn in a pot of gold, but I'd really like to buy both the oil tank baffle and the oval plugs that are part of the winterization kit. Alternatively, I'd like to borrow them to make copies. As winter has rolled in, my new-to-me C140 is struggling to get oil temp above 125, even on a 40 degree day.

Thanks!
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: WTB: Oil Tank Baffle and oval plugs

Post by 6643 »

Oil tank baffle? If you mean the metal plate in front of the tank, that's a cooling part and is required, year 'round. If you mean the "blanket," it's available from Wag Aero. Click here.

You can make the oval covers from sheet aluminum and the spring from a fabric inspection cover. Make the ovals 1/4" larger all around than the holes and bend the edges down about 10 degrees. (Duct tape works pretty well, too...)
Ovalcovers.jpg
Ovalcovers.jpg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
To get a real increase in temperature you need the covers for the inner halves of the big openings in front of the cylinders.
hotrodmac
Name: Lance B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Information Technology

Post by hotrodmac »

John, thanks for the info! I am looking for the cooling baffle too. My summer oil temps are 225+, but on my first “winter” flight with air temps around 32 at altitude, my oil temp never got above 125. Gonna close off the blast tube that points at the temp sensor, but I know that won’t get me more than an indication change. Temp sensor is new, so I wouldn’t expect it to be bad. Anything’s possible though...

Since I don’t have CHT gauges, and it almost never gets below 20 here in the winter, I’m not that excited about covering the big openings at the cylinders.
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building

Post by 6643 »

hotrodmac wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:38 amGonna close off the blast tube that points at the temp sensor, but I know that won’t get me more than an indication change.
If by that you mean it won't really change the temperature of the oil, that's not true. The plate over the blast tube is good for about 10 degrees, IIRC, in actual oil temperature. All the oil flows through the screen housing, and the probe is measuring the temperature of (all) that oil. The blanket for the oil tank is good for about another 10 degrees, the oval plates about 20.

I'm having drawings for the cowl grill plates posted int he member's section of the web site. I'll post a link when it is available.

You can use duct tape to try out each of the covers. If you cover the grills, cover only the inboard sections, and no more than half of the total area. Do not block airflow to the cylinder heads.

Technically, your plane is not airworthy without that baffle on the front of the oil sump.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

6643 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am
hotrodmac wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:38 amGonna close off the blast tube that points at the temp sensor, but I know that won’t get me more than an indication change.
If by that you mean it won't really change the temperature of the oil, that's not true. The plate over the blast tube is good for about 10 degrees, IIRC, in actual oil temperature. All the oil flows through the screen housing, and the probe is measuring the temperature of (all) that oil. The blanket for the oil tank is good for about another 10 degrees, the oval plates about 20.

I'm having drawings for the cowl grill plates posted int he member's section of the web site. I'll post a link when it is available.

You can use duct tape to try out each of the covers. If you cover the grills, cover only the inboard sections, and no more than half of the total area. Do not block airflow to the cylinder heads.

Technically, your plane is not airworthy without that baffle on the front of the oil sump.
John...any chance that the larger "pan" of the SK-24 Ercoupe "baffle kit" (Univair) might be adaptable? (At $1163.49+ it's not an attractive option, but just wondering if it might be close to the Cessna part in terms of fit/function?) Mac

Post by 6643 »

2066 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 amJohn...any chance that the larger "pan" of the SK-24 Ercoupe "baffle kit" (Univair) might be adaptable? (At $1163.49+ it's not an attractive option, but just wondering if it might be close to the Cessna part in terms of fit/function?) Mac
I suppose you could adapt it, but there are a lot of differences. If you want to go that route, order part number 415-40488. It's "only" $374. This is just the part that covers the tank. They have two complex stampings that blend it into the plenum under the spine of the case that wouldn't be much help, included in the kit.

Still, for that kind of money, given all the work to adapt it, I think you'd be better of making (or having made) your own.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

6643 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:32 pm
2066 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 amJohn...any chance that the larger "pan" of the SK-24 Ercoupe "baffle kit" (Univair) might be adaptable? (At $1163.49+ it's not an attractive option, but just wondering if it might be close to the Cessna part in terms of fit/function?) Mac
I suppose you could adapt it, but there are a lot of differences. If you want to go that route, order part number 415-40488. It's "only" $374. This is just the part that covers the tank. They have two complex stampings that blend it into the plenum under the spine of the case that wouldn't be much help, included in the kit.

Still, for that kind of money, given all the work to adapt it, I think you'd be better of making (or having made) your own.
$374 is better, but the idea of "owner supplied" sure sounds best and practically doable. Thanks, John! Mac
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Post by 8233 »

6643 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:11 pm Oil tank baffle? If you mean the metal plate in front of the tank, that's a cooling part and is required, year 'round. If you mean the "blanket," it's available from Wag Aero. Click here.

You can make the oval covers from sheet aluminum and the spring from a fabric inspection cover. Make the ovals 1/4" larger all around than the holes and bend the edges down about 10 degrees. (Duct tape works pretty well, too...)
Ovalcovers.jpg

To get a real increase in temperature you need the covers for the inner halves of the big openings in front of the cylinders.
I know don't have that on my 120 with a C-90 and I also have the more oblong style oil tank. John, do you know anyone who can fabricate such a piece? I would like to get that added on mine to help with cooling in the summer.

Thanks
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120

Post by 6643 »

8233 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 amI know don't have that on my 120 with a C-90 and I also have the more oblong style oil tank.
OK, technically, that oil tank isn't "allowed" on the C90 that's approved for the 120/140. That said, since it's used on the O200, Randy probably has an answer. (I don't know of an equivalent part for that tank, so I suspect the answer is to omit it.)
do you know anyone who can fabricate such a piece?
I was recently in communication with a company that makes replacement baffles, and they said the compound curve in the C85 part is not compatible with their manufacturing processes. That said, with a wide tank like yours, you might get almost the same benefit from a piece with a simple curve, rolled from top to bottom to match the tank.
I would like to get that added on mine to help with cooling in the summer.
Do you have the blast tube on the oil screen housing, and the extended lip on the bottom of the cowl? Both of them make a significant difference.
Name: Nathaniel F
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8393 »

See the bottom of the post at this link ( https://flybabyfun.blogspot.com/2016/04 ... ffles.html ) for a description of how someone made a similar baffle.

I had issues with higher temps on my C-85 equipped 140 last year. I don't have the oil tank baffle either but I saw vast improvement with replacement of the baffle seals and directing the blast tube at the oil screen housing (it had been plumbed to the generator by some previous owner). Temps that were hovering around 220-230 in the summer went down to 180-200.

On a side note, the same author also has another very descriptive blog detailing a 140 restoration project at http://n140tw.blogspot.com/ that may be of some interest.