Winterization Kit

For Buyers & Sellers: A Place to List Aircraft and Related Parts For Sale or Wanted to Buy

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: John P
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Winterization Kit

Post by 7313 »

I need to make or buy the winterization cover plates. I followed the link to the drawing: http://skyportservices.net/cooperjr/Ces ... lcover.jpg, however I dont understand the right hand smaller part of the drawing. Is that part bent to a right angle perhaps? For what purpose? Photo would be immensely helpful.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

The top of the drawing shows the spring and hook that clips the cover to the slats of the grill. The bottom is the face view of the cover and the center shows the cover side view. The top edge of the bottom drawing is the same edge as the bottom edge of the center drawing. The bottom edge of the bottom drawing is rotated to the back.

It's called an orthographic projection.
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7313 »

Thanks John, I see it now!
maverick_fa
Name: Mat
Aircraft Type: One Forty 100
Occupation-Interests: Flight Instructor (Aerobatic & ASEL), Avionics, FTI

Post by maverick_fa »

6643 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 pm The cowl inlet covers are the same for the 120/140 and at least the early 170s.

The cover for the oil tank is available from Wag-aero. https://www.wagaero.com/oil-tank-cover-kit-4-5-qt.html
John,
They are really helping these covers from WagAero?
Mat | CSG3
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7313 »

I made covers for the four openings in the cowl similar to the plans described above, except I hold them on with cable ties. I used a hardware store cap to plug the inlet to the oil cooler blast tube. All that gives me sufficient oil temperature.

As to those fabric covers for the oil tank and intake tubes - I never put them on because I didn't need them in our climate (upstate NY). Also, it seems to me they would be magnets for oil and grime. Maybe needed in really cold climates. When it's that cold I stay home by the fire................!
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7313 »

IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG (38.84 KiB) Viewed 7271 times
My plates - later I prettied them up and painted. Rubber sheeting glued to back sides to protect paint. Painted black with black cable ties they are pretty much invisible.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8224 »

John P, in upstate NY, I see you have a wood prop on your plane. I assume it is an 85 and I would like to know what is the pitch, static rpm, any other particulars you might think relevant. I am restoring a 47 140 and want to keep it as light as possible. A wood prop is a great way to save about 12 pounds if I am willing to give up a little performance.
Steve H in SC
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7313 »

Steve,

The prop is a Sensenich Model W72GK-46. It is a climb prop, and was recommended by the guys at Sensenich for the best performance on the 120 with the C85. We have been very happy with the performance. It outperforms a 150 with 100hp by a lot, in my judgement.

It took a bit of experimentation to find the right clocking to minimize vibration, and we also had it dynamically balanced.

The only caveat is that you will need to pull back power a bit at level-off from climb out - full throttle in level flight will exceed RPM red line.

All performance comments above considering that our C85 is freshly overhauled.

John
maverick_fa
Name: Mat
Aircraft Type: One Forty 100
Occupation-Interests: Flight Instructor (Aerobatic & ASEL), Avionics, FTI

Post by maverick_fa »

7313 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:35 am As to those fabric covers for the oil tank and intake tubes - I never put them on because I didn't need them in our climate (upstate NY). Also, it seems to me they would be magnets for oil and grime. Maybe needed in really cold climates. When it's that cold I stay home by the fire................!
Thank you!
Mat | CSG3
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

7313 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:55 am Steve,

The prop is a Sensenich Model W72GK-46. It is a climb prop, and was recommended by the guys at Sensenich for the best performance on the 120 with the C85. We have been very happy with the performance. It outperforms a 150 with 100hp by a lot, in my judgement.

It took a bit of experimentation to find the right clocking to minimize vibration, and we also had it dynamically balanced.

The only caveat is that you will need to pull back power a bit at level-off from climb out - full throttle in level flight will exceed RPM red line.

All performance comments above considering that our C85 is freshly overhauled.

John
Where do the balance weights go when dynamically balancing a skullcap covered fixed pitch prop? I'd like to balance mine, but didn't know it was effective given the small radius compared to a prop with a backplate?