Fuel Selector WTB

For Buyers & Sellers: A Place to List Aircraft and Related Parts For Sale or Wanted to Buy

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
cess140
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Fuel Selector WTB

Post by cess140 »

Looking for a four way fuel selector (Left, Right, Both,Off ) for my 1946 140. Have a three way now (Left, Right,Off)
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Fuel Selector WTB

Post by 6643 »

The '46 fuel system cannot be fitted with a "Both" valve without some other modifications. Certification rules require that if you can draw fuel from two separate tanks at the same time then the air spaces of those tanks must be interconnected. Those in the '46 system are not.

Without doing so, you will likely experience uneven fuel flow between the two tanks, and it is even possible for the engine to starve for fuel with plenty of fuel left in one of the tanks.
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C-140 (sold)
Occupation-Interests: Captain B-777 (Retired)

Post by 8342 »

If you are worried about forgetting to switch fuel tanks, don't.
Give it time the engine will remind you. :D

Rick
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

6643 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:39 pm The '46 fuel system cannot be fitted with a "Both" valve without some other modifications. Certification rules require that if you can draw fuel from two separate tanks at the same time then the air spaces of those tanks must be interconnected. Those in the '46 system are not.

Without doing so, you will likely experience uneven fuel flow between the two tanks, and it is even possible for the engine to starve for fuel with plenty of fuel left in one of the tanks.
Interesting. Sierra Hotel Aerospace sells a "Left/Right/Both/Off" selector which they say is for the 120 and 140 with no year restrictions listed. I explored installing one in my 1946 but it was not plug-and-play with the fuel line configuration extant in the airplane, so passed. I guess it's actually not possibly in the '46.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

edidin wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:07 pm Sierra Hotel Aerospace sells a "Left/Right/Both/Off" selector which they say is for the 120 and 140 with no year restrictions listed.
They list both valves. The approval is PMA replacement by part number, so the SHA valve would have to be PMA approved to replace the original part approved for your aircraft, in your case, the L-R-Off valve, unless your aircraft was previously (properly) modified.
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

6643 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:02 pm
They list both valves. The approval is PMA replacement by part number, so the SHA valve would have to be PMA approved to replace the original part approved for your aircraft, in your case, the L-R-Off valve, unless your aircraft was previously (properly) modified.
Thanks John - as always a wealth of knowledge.

I seem to have migrated to aircraft that don't have "both" settings so my desire to have it in the 120 has dissipated.