WANTED - Pants Mounting Plates

For Buyers & Sellers: A Place to List Aircraft and Related Parts For Sale or Wanted to Buy

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Gregg T
Aircraft Type: 47 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired Aerospace/Defense Engineer

Re: WANTED - Pants Mounting Plates

Post by 8102 »

A previous post discussing the installation of wheel pants has some good photos of the mounting plate as installed. See attached link.

viewtopic.php?p=1845#p1845

Gregg
juliogdiana
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by juliogdiana »

I will take pictures from my flat plates, may be able to do something.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

This picture from the above mentioned thread shows the contour.

Further on in that thread is a picture of my beat up set...
Name: David Freeland
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120
Occupation-Interests: Program Management

Post by 8233 »

juliogdiana wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:48 am Hello guys,

I got my hands on a nice genuine aluminum set of 120/140 pants for my 1946 C120, however it didnt have the mounting plates.
I put a add on Facebook looking for a mounting plates and I bought two sets from a guys in States, however I dont think they are the right ones, they are flat and the holes doesnt match my pants, I tried to contact the member who does the carbon fiber mounting plates but his e-mail isnt working.
I can see that the carbon fiber ones are not flat and have a bit of shape on them, I think it is the one I need, could you guys could give any advice about if I can a buy a set of mounting plates or just change the holes on my existing flat plates.

Thanks in advance.
I’ll message you the email contact for the carbon fiber ones. He is still making them.
David Freeland - CFII
1972 Bellanca Super Viking and 1946 Cessna 120
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 4004 »

Jody:
If your wheel pants haven't been off in "12 years", and if your aircraft is in annual, what kind of pen did your IA use - a Parker or a Sharpie? :D
The devil made me do it!
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: WANTED - Pants Mounting Plate

Post by a64pilot »

Pants have been off, but the plates haven’t. I bought the airplane and it had 8.00 x 6 on it, I didn’t know it until I bought it, but it came with original undamaged pants in a cardboard box, owner didn’t think much of them. I took off the extenders and put the pants on. I’m surprised extenders haven’t led to broken gear and gearbox cracks, moving that wheel out in front of the gear leg has to impart a twisting moment?

I had the pants off last month to reline the brakes, and the month before that to replace the slave cylinder O-ring. Are we allowed to call it that now?

I’m the IA, currently not, but as I believe I’m getting a complex aircraft soon, I’ll retest to renew the IA. I’m looking for a Meyers 200D, but they are sort of uncommon, may have to just get an old V tail. 140 is a good little airplane, just not as good a traveling airplane as I’d like. I’ll keep the 140 of course, it’s good for tooling around, 5 gph etc is hard to beat.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

a64pilot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:21 am I’ll retest to renew the IA.
Can't you just attend a couple of seminars?
may have to just get an old V tail.
Contact me if you want a project! Seriously!
Name: Huey Pilot
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 2356 »

There is a Myers on Barnstormers.
a64pilot

Post by a64pilot »

6643 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:30 am
a64pilot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:21 am I’ll retest to renew the IA.
Can't you just attend a couple of seminars?
may have to just get an old V tail.
Contact me if you want a project! Seriously!

I contacted the local FSDO expecting and hoping an answer similar to that, but was told that I would have to start over, with the interview to get an 8610-1, which is of course the form that gives you permission to test, and would have to re-test.
I doubt arguing would get me anywhere.

Oh, and on edit, last thing I want is a project. I want an airplane to fly, not work on, besides I’ve never seen a project come in less expensive than a flying airplane. It like building an airplane, I have no desire to do that either.
I looked for a while at RV’s, but a 200 HP RV goes for 100k,and with a field overhauled engine, which is nuts, for less than 100K you can get as fast or faster four place airplane that can carry four people and or luggage, and has some shoulder room.
Last edited by a64pilot on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a64pilot

Post by a64pilot »

2356 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:17 am There is a Myers on Barnstormers.
If it’s 97M that your talking about, I should be signing a purchase agreement soon, then flying up Commercially to conduct an Annual with a local IA that owns a Meyers in mid Feb.
Apparently the “owner” is flaky, story I got was Mom bought him and his brother the airplane, Mom is now mad at one brother and has the other selling the airplane, current owner isn’t rated to fly it.
If you look at the pictures you’ll see one of those skull decals on the tail. apparently that skull is some kind of video game something, making me think he is some spoiled Millenial or whatever they are called.

I say flaky because he won’t let the IA take the books to look at them for fear of them disappearing, and is sort of pissy about us doing an annual, stating he doesn’t understand why an annual is required, it just had one.

So, this may or may not happen, but I’m certainly not buying a high performance complex over 50 yr old airplane without me performing an Annual, only a fool would in my opinion.