Fuel Selector Valve

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
vicm
Name: Vic Matthews
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Fuel Selector Valve

Post by vicm »

The fuel selector value on my Cessna 140A is very difficult to turn. Would appreciate recommendations for sources to have it rebuilt or replaced.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Fuel Selector Valve

Post by 6643 »

You can probably fix it yourself. Start by reading this article. If you need some Fuel Lube, contact me directly. I'll send you a dab for the cost of the postage.

If you end up replacing it there is a member who has an STC for a nice replacement valve under Member's Products on the main web site.
vicm

Post by vicm »

Thank you for your reply and generous offer. Have read the article and don't feel comfortable to do the repair. However, through the forum I have found someone who will overhaul it. I tried contacting the member concerning the replacement valve under Member's Products but never received a response.

Vic
Name: Matt F
Aircraft Type: c140a
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8401 »

I just rebuilt the fuel selector on my 140a. Use a tiny bit of EZ lube on the spool and it will spin like new. Mine also had a slight seep. The original seal is no longer available, there is a replacement O-ring. It took four O-rings to put enough spring pressure to seal it up. Also helps if you have a 3/4" crowfoot and a couple extra joints in your fingers.
Name: Blaine F
Aircraft Type: C140A
Occupation-Interests: Helicopter Pilot

Post by 8474 »

I just overhauled mine, that was the easy part. Getting it out and back in was pretty much an all day affair and will require a few days for the skin to grow back.
Basically shined the spool and seat back up with scotch brite, reassembled it with fuel lube and it actually clicks now at each position where as before I was afraid to turn it.
vicm

Post by vicm »

Member Bill Goetschel of Minnesota rebuilt the fuel selector valve. He did an excellent job and at a reasonable price. If you are having similar issues, his services are highly recommended.
Vic
rfrederick
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: IT

Post by rfrederick »

This assemble is on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cessna-120-140 ... SwLIpeWWfa

Good luck.
Rick
M20C/BC12D/140
rfrederick
Name: Rick F
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: IT

Post by rfrederick »

Rick
M20C/BC12D/140
katie rose
Name: Kates
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by katie rose »

8474 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:18 am I just overhauled mine, that was the easy part. Getting it out and back in was pretty much an all day affair and will require a few days for the skin to grow back.
Basically shined the spool and seat back up with scotch brite, reassembled it with fuel lube and it actually clicks now at each position where as before I was afraid to turn it.
Hey there,

I'm looking at overhauling my fuel selector. I have a 1946 140. Do you have any tips on where to get parts? Or what part numbers you used? I'm also think of sending it out just not sure where to send it. Thanks
KT
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

Katie,
To name a few, I would contact Randy Thompson at thompsonsair@tds.net or Tim Mix at mixasllc@yahoo.com, and talk to them about taking care of your fuel valve issues if you don't plan on doing it yourself. Both of these gents have the knowledge, and can help you out.