Cable tension & aileron rigging

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Dave Sirota
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests:

Cable tension & aileron rigging

Post by 6843 »

So a few weeks ago I asked for some advice on setting aileron cable tension and it was suggested to set the carry-through tension at 30# and not worry too much about the "control" cables. I've done that and the control cables are around 22 pounds. Too loose? The manual states the bolts attaching the control cables to the bellcrank and the bellcrank attaching/pivot bolt should all be equal distance from the nearby rib. 2 17/32" - a pretty precise specification. When I get the cable tension as best as I can, the aft (control) cable bolt is ~1/4" too far away and the forward cable attach bolt (the carry-through cable) the same distance too close to the rib. I presume this will put my aileron travel out of specification but I don't know how much yet. How much can the aileron travel be out before I'm being unsafe?

Thanks for everyone's help,
Dave
Dave Sirota
'46 C-140 N89654
'96 Hatz N24B
KRYN
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Cable tension & aileron rigging

Post by 6643 »

Are the measurements the same on both sides? Sounds like you need to loosen the carry through cable and tighten the control cables, or vice versa. Rig the bell cranks first then adjust the aileron positions by adjusting the pushrod lengths.
Name: Jigger 87
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: A&P /IA retired

Post by 7981 »

Aileron cable tension is taken on the balance cable only. Tape a straight edge across the yokes to make them even. Adjust the direct and balance cables so the bell-crank is in the neutral position, the balance cable is set at 30 lbs, and the up-stop on one aileron hits it's stop the same time the opposite aileron hits it's down stop. Once the tension and stops are set, then adjust the aileron control rods to fare with the wing. Then double check the control travel up and down. Specs and procedure are in the pilot's operating manual. PS-use .041 SS safety-wire on turn-barrels.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

The carry through cable will always have a high tension than the two cables that travel up from the yokes. Probably around 10+ pounds difference.