Identifying early/late model gear legs

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Identifying early/late model gear legs

Post by 6643 »

I don't see why not. There's nothing else serial number specific about the airframes with and without the swept gear, and, the straight legged planes are eligible for the extenders, which are pretty much the same thing. I even heard of a plane that had both. (Not that I'm suggesting that was a good idea.) In fact, swept gear is better than straight gear with extenders (but straight gear without extenders is better still.)
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

I have removed four sets of extenders, so far. They handle better.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

So many aircraft have parts from earlier/later s/n aircraft that it seems to have become standard to mix and match. The forward swept gear "should" have gear box angle brackets in the four corners (fore and aft, both sides along the lower fuselage curve). The brackets are steel and need to be riveted in. "Good luck" locating any.

Yes, they will "bolt right up", if that answers part of your question.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

V529 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:13 pmThe forward swept gear "should" have gear box angle brackets in the four corners (fore and aft, both sides along the lower fuselage curve).
I forgot about that. Victor is correct; if you install the swept gear you should have those doublers. The swept gear load the gearboxes with a twisting moment whereas the straight gear load it parallel to the bulkheads. (Extenders do the same thing, to a lesser extent; a lot of the twisting with extenders is transferred to the gear legs themselves.)