V-Brace

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: V-Brace

Post by 6643 »

A word of caution: Sometimes, if you stiffen something up that is flexing, something next to it, that is less flexible, cracks...
Name: John Kliewer
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate PIlot - retired

Post by 6863 »

6643 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:19 pm A word of caution: Sometimes, if you stiffen something up that is flexing, something next to it, that is less flexible, cracks...
John I hear what you are saying, but... ... Having flown the 180/185 extensively with V-braces I vouch for them in those aircraft. I have no engineering data that supports V-braces in the 120/140, but I can't imagine V-braces in our airplanes would induce cracks elsewhere. My very humble and admittedly bush pilot seat of the pants opinion is that there is too much design similarity throughout the entire Cessna tailwheel line for the 120/140 to be negatively impacted by V-braces.
John Kliewer

"Make things as simple as possible but no simpler." Albert Einstiein

"Wheels move the body. Wings move the soul."
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7392 »

I just got in on this topic.....by the movement in the right door post,
you might check the attach-point of same. I believe there was an
AD or advisory on this a few years ago for cracks at the base of the door posts.
Just a thought.....

Larry Surratt
1946 C-140
26R
Name: Art
Aircraft Type: C-140, PA-18
Occupation-Interests: 737 Wrangler

Post by 5422 »

Before we disassembled our plane for restoration it always had a squeak when taxiing over uneven surfaces and we could never pinpoint the cause. There did seem to be some kind of looseness in that windshield area. The cause was the instrument panel rubbing up against the forward doorposts. The rivets that connect the panel to the door posts sheared on both sides.
I am also contemplating putting a v brace in as well to stiffen that area. Looked at many different v braces installed over the years in 120/140 planes and a good 90% of them didn’t fit flush with the dash (top of the boot cowl). Some had custom spacers to make it fit flat or shims. Some connected very far forward on the dash others farther back. One had basically 2 float plane type flying wires that connected to the engine mounts the crossed up to the top of door posts and tightened by turnbuckles. That was pretty far forward in the windshield and seemed VERY strong. Basically like the Seaplanes West conversion brace used on the 182. All the other braces connect to the top of the dash above that center boot cowl stringer. Kinda interested what Mike Sibley’s set up looks like.
e thomas
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by e thomas »

The Cessna 150 seaplane "V" brace will fit, with he addition of a small spacer at the top of the instrument panel. I have one in my '46 140. It does indeed work, no more rocking and creaking , and provides an excellent handle on exit and entry to the airplane. I got it from Yingling, a genuine Cessna part. Was about a thousand dollars if memory serves. It does, however detract from the clear windscreen view. Not a problem if you are used to that sort of thing.
Name: Tamer A
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Post by 8359 »

I've been in contact with Mike Sibley up in Alaska. He's working on making some more of the V-braces out of stainless. They will fit the 120/140/150. He's estimating no more than $350 plus shipping. They will need to be field approved. He said they'll be ready in about 3 weeks, he's making 6-8 of them.

If anyone is interested in one, please let me know and I'll get you on the list.

He's also working on T3 tail shocks and tube gear for the 150. Exciting stuff!

Post by 8359 »

Just posting a little update, Mike shipped the v braces down from Alaska today. They should be here Wednesday. I might have one extra because the 4th person is still undecided.

The price came out to $422 + whatever shipping is to your door. I’m willing to fly 2 hours from SNA to meet you if you want it.

Shoot me a PM if you want it, it will fit the 120/140/150. Should know in a couple days if that last one is available.
Name: Art
Aircraft Type: C-140, PA-18
Occupation-Interests: 737 Wrangler

Post by 5422 »

Anyone that happen to have a windshield V brace 337 they might want to share. My IA and I are looking for some examples while beginning to “TRY” to get a field approval. Spoke with three owners that have the mod, one flat out said it’s none of my business and pound sand, other two couldn’t find any documentation. Anyways the previously discussed gentleman that makes a very nice stainless v brace (fit perfectly BTW) said the only way he got his style of brace approved was that it was a mod to a already installed float kit on the C-150’s he modifies. He said it was the only way the feds would sign off on it. His style of brace sits father forward on the dash (not in front of face like some) and if desired can be tied into the top center engine mount bolt. That being said the float kit for our planes originally did not include a V brace, enter the field approval.

Our plan is to attach the brace like the 180/185 setup with a beefy doubler underneath. I like the idea of tying it to engine mount bolt but after seeing the doubler channel he uses on his 150’s it would take considerable rework on the top boot cowl and firewall to accommodate it on a already operational plane. Hopefully we can get the field approval, but if not at least we tried.

If anyone feels like sharing some paperwork please do!
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

The guy who told you to pound sand probably doesn't have any approval... If you think he does, and you know his "N" number, just order the FAA CD for that plane.

Post by 8359 »

Best bet might be to go through a DER. Unfortunately I still haven't got mine installed, I have two screws going through the top post rather than a single one going all the way through, so it would require a bit of disassembly to get them off, which I don't really want to do at the moment.