Grimes Swing Down Lights

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Samuel G
Aircraft Type: '46 140
Occupation-Interests:

Grimes Swing Down Lights

Post by 8482 »

How does one go about adjusting the left and right aiming position of the the Grimes swing down landing light (my right wing light points out a few degrees)?

Also, Neal's white paper says there is an adjustment screw for the stop and switch on position adjustable from 65° to 90°. Has anyone found the optimal down position? Do I need to remove the light assembly to access this adjustment screw?

Next, Has anyone altered the light on/off switching to make it independent of the stop? Is this a good idea?

Lastly, My left light seems to have a hard time extending and retracting. Is this a lubrication problem?

What parts need lubrication? What should be the service intervals?

Thanks,

Sam
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: Grimes Swing Down Lights

Post by 2066 »

Sam wrote: ..."Next, Has anyone altered the light on/off switching to make it independent of the stop? Is this a good idea?"

Sorry I can't answer the other questions...it's been awhile since I've been into the light assembly. I can answer the switch query, however -- well, kinda ;) . While we didn't alter the internal wiring for switching the bulb on/off at any position, we did add a switch for when it's fully extended and normally "on" continuously. And -- yes, in my opinion, it is a good idea as I can now leave the light extended (if desired) & easily control a 4522 LED replacement bulb as desired without killing the battery or waiting for the light to extend. (Plz don't look too closely at my grungy panel paint...another "next project" :roll: ) Mac
IMG_1305 (2).JPG
IMG_1305 (2).JPG (137.51 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Name: Samuel G
Aircraft Type: '46 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8482 »

2066 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:33 pm Sam wrote: ..."Next, Has anyone altered the light on/off switching to make it independent of the stop? Is this a good idea?"

Sorry I can't answer the other questions...it's been awhile since I've been into the light assembly. I can answer the switch query, however -- well, kinda ;) . While we didn't alter the internal wiring for switching the bulb on/off at any position, we did add a switch for when it's fully extended and normally "on" continuously. And -- yes, in my opinion, it is a good idea as I can now leave the light extended (if desired) & easily control a 4522 LED replacement bulb as desired without killing the battery or waiting for the light to extend. (Plz don't look too closely at my grungy panel paint...another "next project" :roll: ) Mac
IMG_1305 (2).JPG
Thanks for this. I can extended my lights to the stop then the light comes on. Then I can retract a bit to turn them off. Again, putting the switch into the extend position to get them to turn back on. So hopefully I can find the optimal down position with the adjustment if needed. I just installed the Aero-lites LED Fusion 46 on both sides. Wow, what a difference!

Now I am contemplating getting rid of the generator? I see you made that mod. What are you thoughts on that? I have an O-200 with a vacuum pump but still the old generator.
Last edited by 8482 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

Sam: "...getting rid of the generator?"

This goes back several years...I opted for B & C's 12A alternator and we were able to install via "field approval". Since then, there's a similar higher amp model available and I believe it's STC'd. That said, there are several "regular" alternators available via STC these days, too -- the Plane Power seems to be a very popular one, is a "true" alternator and puts out a lot more amperage. Also, our own (fellow member) Fred Lagno pioneered and owns an STC for an excellent installation. In no way am I critical of my choice -- as indicated above, even though it's rated at "only" 12 amps, it's plenty for my entire "system" (including that great Aero-lites Led ) & weighs in at a whopping 4.25 lbs.. The continuing airworthiness document that came with mine indicates an overhaul at 2,000 -- I never got that kind of service from the old generator :) , 'though I'll admit it served me well. ...so, short story, long -- yes, I surely recommend an "upgrade" to an alternator. Mac