Changing Instrument Panel Lights

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Edd
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: Changing Instrument Panel Lights

Post by 4004 »

Ray:
Check Spruce, they have a limited few with the T 3 1/4 base on the). If you have a dimmer control, need to check if the LED ones will work rather than just an "On"/"OFF" circuit.
Last edited by 4004 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Marshall B
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8434 »

Hi 6277,

The following lights will fit the BA9 instument panel lights. I tried other LEDs however most have a head that is too wide to fit into the sockets that bury most of the bulb.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/YOOSEN-Ceramics- ... 641&sr=8-1
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

Thanks, gentlemen, for the tips on replacements.

I ordered a set last week (different ones than were suggested) and got them today. As noted, the heads were too large to fit in the hole. I ground the head down enough so it would fit (tried just one of them) but found found it to be too bright. They cut out completely at about 3/4 of a turn down on the rheostat but still were too bright even at the lowest setting just before cutting out. Apparently, even though they are dimmable, they have a minimum operating voltage.

I’ll just leave the incandescent bulbs in place and keep them turned down all the way to save on amp draw unless I’m flying at night.

Mike
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10
Name: Ray Hunter
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired AF, B-17, UH-1, pilot for Yankee Air Museum

Post by 6277 »

Thanks, Do the Yoosen bulbs create any heat? Also, the lights that I have now are incadenscent and painted with red nail polish. Should I order the red ones? I very rarely fly at night.
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

I find the panel lights at full power are far too bright after flying around at night for a bit and once you have adapted to night vision. I turn mine down almost all the way with the Rheostat and that works.

My bulbs are clear (standard incandescent) and as long as the panel cover is on, and you have a working rheostat, I don’t think it is necessary to paint them red.

Mike
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10
Name: Marshall B
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8434 »

I haven't found any heat from the Yoosen LEDs. They do also have a minimum voltage that they cut out after. I don't fly much at night so its more about being able to do a run-up before sunrise than actual night flying.