Fouled plugs

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Thayne I
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired Airline Pilot

Fouled plugs

Post by 8466 »

I recently did a run up and found a 150 rpm drop on the right mag. It had been steadily getting worse. I have been flying just in the pattern the last 5 hours so maybe the plugs are fouling Bwi haven’t flown it at cruise, high power setting afor a a hour or so which may clean out the plugs. Could this be so? If not after correcting this fouling what should I do in my flying habits to prevent this from happening.

Thayne
Happy flying. :D
Name: Daniel
Aircraft Type: Formerly a 120
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Fouled plugs

Post by 8451 »

8466 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:33 pm I recently did a run up and found a 150 rpm drop on the right mag. It had been steadily getting worse. I have been flying just in the pattern the last 5 hours so maybe the plugs are fouling Bwi haven’t flown it at cruise, high power setting afor a a hour or so which may clean out the plugs. Could this be so? If not after correcting this fouling what should I do in my flying habits to prevent this from happening.

Thayne
The number one thing you can do to prevent fouled plugs when running 100LL is to lean aggressively on the ground. If you’re able to apply takeoff power and the engine still runs you aren’t leaned out enough.

As a side note, such practice will ensure you always set the mixture full rich (or altitude appropriate) before takeoff, and not accidentally take off at an engine damaging reduced fuel flow.

This practice applies to any piston aircraft.
Name: Franklin B
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 4390 »

You can't lean a Stromberg at idle speeds. Check the idle mixture. You can change to a Marvel, they can be leaned, or try fine wire plugs.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

4390 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:58 am You can change to a Marvel,
For that money you could pay someone to clean your plugs before every flight for the rest of your life! ;)

Champion REM37BY plugs are specifically designed to help prevent fouling in Continental C-series engines.
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

I run TCP in my fuel and that helps a lot. I pull my plugs and clean/Regap them every 50 hours. Without TCP, I was pulling a lot of lead out of the plugs (1/2 a thimbleful!). With TCP, they are MUCH cleaner.

I also lean the mixture one finger width any time I am flying (not at takeoff) when it is hot on the theory that the air/fuel mixture is richer than when flying in cold, dense air. It is hard to quantify the impact this leaning has but between the TCP and leaning protocol, the lead issue is under control.

I have a Stromberg carb, and as someone else mentioned, leaning on the ground has no effect. Some will say that leaning with a Stromberg carb in the air is a waste of time, but I don’t think so. If you pull the mixture out slowly when flying you will get to a point where the engine starts to balk from over leaning....so it is doing something.

One other thing I do is to change the oil every 25 hrs or so. That keeps the lead that goes into solution in the oil under control. Have nearly 10 years of Blackstone tests for my engine oil and it has become clear that the longer between oil changes, the more lead in solution in the oil. There is a direct correlation between the two. The oil filter will not capture the solvable lead. The only way to get it out is to change the oil.

I had a stuck valve issue with my plane back in 2011. Ended up with a very expensive overhaul. 900 hours since the overhaul, and following the protocol noted above, my engine is running perfectly.

Hope some of that helps.

Mike