C-90 12F OIL Pressure

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

C-90 12F OIL Pressure

Post by 7153 »

HI All,
Just had my C-90-12F that resides in my 140 overhauled. Also up dated the Tach and Engine gauges with an Electronics International CGR-30. Nice instrument and I know some might think it overkill for the aircraft but I like it so far.

In any case the question is that the engine oil pressure has been running lower than I would expect. I currently have about 25 Hrs on the new engine. Before over haul (with the old analog PSI and Temp gauges that are notoriously un-accurate) the oil pressure was a solid 40 Lbs. I have been running 40 weight mineral oil (AeroShell 80)and the pressure was running at 31-33 LBS in cruse with the Oil temp at 172 f . I am running it at 2400 RPM. On start up with the Oil temp at ambient the pressure comes up to 39-40 Lbs as I would have expected, But as the oil temp increases the pressure goes down. And of course as you reduce power (RPM) the pressure goes down. At idle its about 12 Lbs or so. All with in published limits but lower than I would like.

Changed the oil today at the Engine Shops suggestion (Aero Tech, NS, CA) with 50 Weight (AeroShell 100 Mineral )and the pressure is better. 35 Lbs or so in cruse at temp of 172 or so and idle pressure is better about 15-18 LBS. Once I am off the mineral oil I will use AeroShell 15W-50 as I have in the past.

The PSI meets the published limits but I would like to have it a bit higher, say 40 LBS in cruse with normal oil temp. Am I making too much of this, Anyone seen this before ? Is the C-90 pressure relief valve adjustable ?
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: C-90 12F OIL Pressure

Post by 6643 »

From the engine's standpoint, anything over 30 psi is wasted energy.

That said, you say it idles around 12 psi. At what RPM does the warm pressure reach 30 psi? The lower the better. If it's higher, like 2000 RPM that means your pump can't produce enough flow to keep up with the engine clearances. If it happens quickly, like 1400 RPM it means that's the pressure the relief valve is maintaining.

There is no approved procedure to adjust the relief valve. Did they install a new spring during the overhaul?
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: C-90 12F OIL Pressure

Post by 7153 »

Thanks John

I will take a look at that next time i fl. Not sure what they did with the spring nut i will find that out