Fabric Durability

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Fabric Durability

Post by 7985 »

Does anyone know how long a fabric covering can last if the aircraft is parked outside with a covering from Bruce's Custom Covers?
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Re: Fabric Durability

Post by 2066 »

7985 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:26 am Does anyone know how long a fabric covering can last if the aircraft is parked outside with a covering from Bruce's Custom Covers?
...so many variables -- "brand" of wing covering/finish, how long since covered/re-covered, normal weather/wind conditions where parked, sun exposure (a biggie!) and temperature swings. That said, many "modern" fabric recover systems are often referred to as "lifetime" (informally, at least)...but, whether it's the plane, wings or pilot's "lifetime" may be debatable :D . There are some with 30+ years (...likely always hangered) still flying & airworthy, 'though many suggest R & R just to inspect wing structures more often than that. In any event, Bruce's Custom Covers are excellent products and offer significant protection with well engineered attachment and protection from the elements, plus they're just very good folks to deal with. I'd talk to Bruce's for their experience. And, maybe, someone with actual use history will yet chime in here. As the cost of fun flying continues to ramp up, this is an option that many may consider -- keep us posted as you work through this. Mac
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Fabric Durability

Post by 6643 »

I am a huge fan of Bruce's covers, but, fabric wings covered and stored outside will suffer from abrasion as the wind moves the covers around, no matter how good the cover is. Dirt on the wings compounds the problem.

Something like Polyfiber will remain airworthy for 10-15 years outside in a temperate climate. Appearance wise, it depends on how particular you are.

I can't say whether they'll hold up longer or not if you cover them.

Not much help, am I? ;)