8.50 tires with a Canadian 337

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Martin Tanguay
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Re: 8.50 tires with a Canadian 337

Post by 5115 »

6643 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:43 pm So, you don't have a Canadian form to record a Major Alteration?
John, if you mean by Major Alterations using 337 and associated technical data and paperwork like you described earlier. There is not such thing for us in Canada.
We are restricted in using the TCDS and the STCs that do exist for our plane. That is my understanding of how it works here.
Martin Tanguay
Intl Cessna 120-140 Association - Canadian rep
C140, C-FJAR, 1946, sn:9168, O-200, ragwings
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

5115 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:27 pmWe are restricted in using the TCDS and the STCs that do exist for our plane. That is my understanding of how it works here.
OK, but, once you've done the work (say, installed the Alaska Bush Wheels) how do you record that in the aircraft's "permanent records" (logs)? Like I said, here in the US we have to fill out form 337. One copy becomes part of the logs and another copy goes to the FAA and is recorded there.

Put another way, if you queried Transport Canada, would they have a record of the modification?
Name: Martin Tanguay
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5115 »

6643 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:06 am
5115 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:27 pmWe are restricted in using the TCDS and the STCs that do exist for our plane. That is my understanding of how it works here.
OK, but, once you've done the work (say, installed the Alaska Bush Wheels) how do you record that in the aircraft's "permanent records" (logs)? Like I said, here in the US we have to fill out form 337. One copy becomes part of the logs and another copy goes to the FAA and is recorded there.

Put another way, if you queried Transport Canada, would they have a record of the modification?
As you said, the work is described in proper syllabus in the ''permanent records''...here we call them ''Technical logs'', and the following is where my legal knowledge is short. I don't know if we have to send a copy to Transport Canada. Because in your example it is a STC paperwork. Hence not sure we have to send a copy to TC, since STC are already approved documents.
But if your example would have been a stab reskinned after damaged, then the same work description would be done in the technical logs, plus a Major Repair Form would be filled-in with details of part numbers replaced or repaired, etc. And a copy of the form would be kept in the technical logs and a copy sent to TC.

But again, for all Canadian folks, I would either ask TC or an AME what is the right thing to do with STC paperwork.
Because I agree with you John, if the STC paperwork is Not sent to TC, how would they know what was done to the plane??
Martin Tanguay
Intl Cessna 120-140 Association - Canadian rep
C140, C-FJAR, 1946, sn:9168, O-200, ragwings