Wheel Extenders

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Drew
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests: Construction Consultant
RAF - CT State Liaison (theRAF.org)

Wheel Extenders

Post by 8349 »

Relative newbie here - just got my first tailwheel flight in the books today (Maulers M-5-235C - eye opening experience!). What are the pros & cons of the wheel extenders on the 120/140s? And would grass/gravel landing make one way or the other (on or off) even more important?

Thanks all!
VIP529
Name: Victor
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes until the cows come home..........they're still out!

Re: Wheel Extenders

Post by VIP529 »

Well, this has been a much debated topic over the years.

Several things:

1. wheel extenders were installed to keep over anxious pilots from applying the brakes too much and tipping the airplane on its nose.
2. That seldom happens, with good instruction in the years I've been involved with these airplanes I have not heard of one case of that happening, .....ie. a ."Nose over".
3. They are a cessna part, so installation and removal is a log book entry.
4. However they are rather weighty and should have a W&B change made.
5. PROS for having them installed: easier to 3 point land the aircraft, less apt for the nose to come up under heavy braking.
6. CONS for having them installed: More difficult to wheel land, puts more weight on the tail, adds a "torque moment to the MLG springs" (they swing a little forward, rather than straight out while compensating for bumps on the runway) Many times are installed with the wrong hardware (Not NAS Bolts) leading to bolt failure and then wheel disassociation with the aircraft at the worst possible time....i.e. landing), they look dorky installed.

No doubt others will chime in on this subject with their thoughts.

My own personal thoughts on the subject, having flown aircraft with and without them is that I don't like them. The airplane was designed without them, balances just fine without them especially for wheel landings and 3 points have never been an issue. I removed them from any airplane I ever owned and was happy to sell them to whomever wanted to buy them for fishing anchors.
Name: Marshall B
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8434 »

VIP529 summed it up well. One other note, cessna modified the gear legs after 1947, serial number 14307 and up. They swept the gear forward by 3" to accomplish the same thing as the wheel extenders did but without the extra 5 pounds.
I have the swept forward gear and for a while the extenders too. I found anytime I was on the mains it would shimy. Once removed the handling improved considerably.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

^agree. IMO they solved a problem that didn't exist. With Cessna's "modern" new technology that included hydraulic disc brakes, a significant number of pilots (students?) weren't accustomed to brakes that functioned that well (It may also be that they didn't have an instructor like mine who kept shouting to "keep that stick back!!? ;) ). My 140 had'em for a couple of years before we removed to convert to Clevelands and add wheel pants...last 33 years have been sans extenders. MUCH easier to land, taxi and maneuver on ground without, + saves significant weight (& risk of stress on bolts & gear box), takes some stress off tailwheel and enables more precise alignment of mains. That said, there are yet a good many installed on 120s and 140s and those flying with them are comfy and confident. As Victor indicated, like several 120-140 "topics", this one often comes down to sharing opinions, experience, thoughts and ideas...and, the extenders are an "approved" Cessna part. Mac