Crooked Airplane

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: John W
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Crooked Airplane

Post by 8329 »

I recently purchased a 140 and I've been flying fairly regularly to get more familiar and comfortable in the airplane. Yesterday was a calm day, which was perfect for practicing maneuvers that I'm not too familiar with in this airframe.

To cut to the chase, I was in the practice area getting a feel for how the airplane behaves in a descending slip. After performing more and more aggressive slips (flaps up) to both sides, I headed back to the home field for some pattern work. Returning, the airplane that previously flew straight required constant right rudder pressure. Rudder neutral results in about half-ball deflection.

Post-flight inspection revealed no obvious defects. Supposing that maybe the slipstream may have deflected the rudder trim tab, I tried to move the tab a bit, but subsequent turns in the pattern showed no improvement.

Question one (the obvious one): how do I fix this?
Question two: is this merely an inconvenience, or a major issue?
Question three: thoughts as to what might have caused it?
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Crooked Airplane

Post by 6643 »

Any sudden change in the way the plane flies is reason for concern. If I understand correctly, the plane was first out of rig immediately after you finished the exercises, so something changed during that portion of the flight.

When you say "Neutral rudder" do you mean feet off, or feet even?

The first thing that comes to my mind is a deformed rudder control horn. If this is not the case, go through the entire control system until you figure out what happened.
Name: Richard Maxted
Aircraft Type: Cessna 120
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 7950 »

Rudder return springs broken ? Guess on my part.
Name: Ray Hunter
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Retired AF, B-17, UH-1, pilot for Yankee Air Museum

Post by 6277 »

I would guess a rudder return spring has broken. Sounds like a similar situation with my 140.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

A broken spring would make the pedals uneven and rudder not "neutral" with feet off, and so not "neutral," but the plane would fly straight and coordinated if you hold the pedals even with your feet.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

This is a reach...probably not your issue...but just sharing results of a TW steering spring that "caught" on a TW bracket & stretched almost open. As a result, the TW steering on one side was slightly altered and it caused the TW to be more of a rudder & was obvious in flight. (...short explanation...the springs were installed "mid chain" and not IAW Scott or OEM drawings so that the spring was adjacent to the bracket & just happened to catch & "hang" during a pretty abrupt slip maneuver) Again, it may or may not help, but just throwing into the mix. Mac
IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg (54.57 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6930 »

Another vote for the rudder return spring. Happened to me on the first day of a 3 day trip from Illinois to Oregon (ugh). If you need right rudder pressure to fly straight, it is the right rudder return spring that is broken which is located on the left side (pilot side).

You can check this on the ground very easily. The rudder should be roughly aligned with the tailwheel. If not, barring any other control cable issues, it is the return spring. Replacing the spring is easy once you get the tunnel cover out. I forget if you have to take the floor pan cover out too.

They are available from Univar. The right rudder spring is staggeringly expensive....three times the price of the left spring. Go figure.

Mike
Mike Pastore, N2635N
Naper Aero, LL10
Name: Larry Lowenkron
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140A
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8175 »

I previously posted this. Got it from Cessna Engr Dept. It is in a Word Doc, so hopefully will be easy to see.
Larry Lowenkron
Attachments
Rudder Ret Springs.docx
(153.18 KiB) Downloaded 425 times