Baggage Door Mod

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Drew
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests: Construction Consultant
RAF - CT State Liaison (theRAF.org)

Baggage Door Mod

Post by 8349 »

I have searched and do not see any STCs for adding a baggage door to a 120/140. Has anyone done such through a field approval/337 process before? Just wondering as I do a lot of camping with my airplane (solo, so not concerned with weight as such) and it may be easier to get stuff in & out through a baggage door than over the seats.

Thanks,
a64pilot
Name: Jody
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: A&P former IA, Retired test pilot

Re: Baggage Door Mod

Post by a64pilot »

Isn’t the fuselage largely monocoque? If so knocking a large hole in it would weaken it severely, you should be able to get the strength back with doublers, be real complex, heavy and likely astonishingly expensive by the time you involve a structural DER etc.

This may sound silly, but I’ve found that shipping clothes to the next stop overnight to not be that expensive, and then you only carry a small bag of one days underwear etc and toiletry items. You don’t even have to carry luggage, it’s waiting at the Motel.