Yoke Mounted PTT Switches

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Tamer A
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Yoke Mounted PTT Switches

Post by 8359 »

Who has mounted a PTT switch on their yoke? Mine currently has a velcro switch on the yoke, but that won't work once I relocate the plugs to behind the seat. Trying to get some ideas on how to do it. I've seen one with a decent design, but haven't seen any others.

The one I've seen:
IMG_9346.JPG
IMG_9346.JPG (206.5 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
Name: Joshua G
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Yoke Mounted PTT Switches

Post by 8340 »

That setup looks snazy and I would suggest you pursue that idea if you have the means. However... the velcro mounted switch will still work. The PTT switch just pulls a line LOW from the radio. I wired mine in directly to the back of the headset plug behind my panel but it can just as easily be wired direct to the radio. Get a schematic of your radio and you will see the PTT wire in the pinout. You then need to remove the plug from your PTT cable and solder it to your wires. It's simply a normally open switch.

Joshua

Post by 8359 »

Good idea, thanks Joshua, I hadn't thought of that. There should be two wires inside that cable, right? One goes to ground and one goes to the PTT pin on the radio?
Name: Joshua G
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8340 »

Yes. Mind had four wires but it was just two separate normally open switches in the same housing. Use an ohm meter and see which wires are on the same switch then ignore two of the wires. One to ground, one to the PTT wire.

FYI, the tip of the mic jack is PTT so that will be easy to find.
Name: Martin Tanguay
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5115 »

Have you seen the product from one of our member. Pretty neat.
https://www.cessna120-140.org/Classified/talkclip.htm
Martin Tanguay
Intl Cessna 120-140 Association - Canadian rep
C140, C-FJAR, 1946, sn:9168, O-200, ragwings
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

5115 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 pm Have you seen the product from one of our member. Pretty neat.
https://www.cessna120-140.org/Classified/talkclip.htm
NICE! I guess I overlooked that one. I'll be going to a mini Ipad and 4flight shortly, that would make for a great mounting device If I can get it to work.

I also hard wired my PTT to the radio and use a velcro PTT.

I would like this better.
chewie
Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by chewie »

Hi,
I'm late to this discussion but I too am looking for a yoke mount PTT solution. I notice the link above is no more, but I'm curious what it was! Does anyone have a picture or description?

Thank you,
Mark
Mark Johnson
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 8424 »

I'd also like to mount my PPT switches on the yoke. I've seen some with holes drilled in the control yoke shaft and the wire run inside the shaft. Is this an accepted method or a really bad idea? I would think it would be a very small hole, 1/8"or less. I would like to put a grommet in the holes, but have never seen a grommet that small. My radio came with the PPT switches already wired into the harness. No problem rewiring the switches. I've never seen the coiled wires used with the velcro attached switches sold by the foot. It appears that the switches in the photo have the coiled wire connection.

Steve A H

Post by 8359 »

Not as pretty, but I ended up just coiling the switch around the yoke then tucking it into the panel. Works great and is clean. I cut the end of the switch and wired it directly to the radio.
IMG_2452.jpg
IMG_2452.jpg (355.77 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
Name: Steve A H
Aircraft Type: 1950 C140A
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Post by 8424 »

Chewie/Mark,

Sorry...I probably shouldn't have jumped in and interfered with your request. We're kind of in the same situation.

Thanks, Tamer for the pic. I did some research on drilling a small hole in the shaft to run the wire inside...general conclusion is it probably isn't a good idea at best, and may require more than a log entry by the IA. I probably will do just what you did with the velcro ptt...wire it to the radio. I had it zip tied to the shaft and ran under the bottom of the panel to the portable intercom in my first 140.

Also, I did find some coiled wire at Summit Racing and a few other places. Most use 18 gauge wire.

Steve A H