License Plate Winterization Kit

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Chris B
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140
Occupation-Interests:

License Plate Winterization Kit

Post by 7757 »

So a couple of months ago, I figured out that an old license plate is just barely big enough to cover the main vents on the cowling. And the holes in the license plate happen to line up between the grills on the vents. So I made a rough mock-up just to prove the concept. I made a bracket that would go on the inside. I figured you could put felt or any kind of rubber seal material on the license plate to protect the paint on the cowling. And you could to the same with the bracket on the inside to prevent wear on the slats of the vents. I still haven't decided on the best type of fastening system to attach the plate to the bracket. Anyway, I thought I would throw the idea out there and let folks with more talent and more tools run with it.

Some other thoughts...

The license plate just barely covers the opening in the cowling, so getting it lined up correctly is important.
My license plate is pretty boring. But some states have colors or pictures that might go well with your plane.
Depending on what airports you visit, you might draw attention to your plane and be asking for a ramp check...

If anyone does give it a try, please post your photos for us.
Attachments
LPWK1.jpg
LPWK1.jpg (449.97 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
LPWK2.jpg
LPWK2.jpg (385.48 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
LPWK3.jpg
LPWK3.jpg (436.64 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
Chris B.
1946 C140
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Re: License Plate Winterization Kit

Post by 8322 »

Great idea! Painted to match wouldnt be very noticable at all...
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Now that............Is creative!
Name: Terry Power
Aircraft Type: C 120
Occupation-Interests: Retired (welder)

Post by 8155 »

I always just use duct tape. I cover the oval holes below the prop. The air blast tube inside. Most days I run at 170 with outside air temps in the 20s. I am nervous about covering the intake for the carb heat too much. I usually cover about 2" each side. When the temps go up tape comes off easy. I am not knocking your idea but just saying the tape works for me. I have no paint and the grey tape blends in nicely. Terry