LED Replacement Bulbs/Fixtures

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Tamer A
Aircraft Type: 1946 C120 O-290-D
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

LED Replacement Bulbs/Fixtures

Post by 8359 »

Next on my list is replacing all the lights with LEDs. I've already replaced the landing light and have been very happy with the results. I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past, likely lost with the old forum. I thought a running list of options would be helpful to the community.

I used the Aero-Lites Fusion 46LR for my landing light. Installation was very easy and output is amazing (5200 lumens). For the price ($150) it feels like a bargain.

For the nav lights I'm looking at the Whelen Orion 650. It is a little pricy at $450 each, but it does have a built in strobe. I believe this means I can complete ditch the belly strobe.

This leaves the beacon as the last light for me. Any suggestions? I have the large can shaped one. I'm not sure if my best option is to replace the bulb or the entire housing?

The taillight will also need to be replaced, but I plan to install the uAvionics tailbeacon which includes an LED.

Happy to take suggestions on all of them. I can keep this post updated with a running list of options for everyone.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: LED Replacement Bulbs/Fixtures

Post by 6643 »

If you have wing tip strobes (LED or otherwise) you don't need the belly strobe or the beacon, especially if you install the tail beacon.
Name: Christopher B
Aircraft Type: C120
Occupation-Interests: USAF

Re: LED Replacement Bulbs/Fixtures

Post by 8261 »

Here's some PNs from my upgrade. Everything had to be drop in. I had a Whelen A440 RW beacon and non-standard PA-18 wing taxi/landing lights to begin with.

Nav Lights - Aircraft Sextant Nav System w/ Constant and Fast Strobe (40W) (Aircraft Spruce PN 11-14934): $350 includes both wing tips and tail and installs like a normal bulb

Dual Landing/Taxi Lights in Wings: Teledyne Alphabeam (Spruce PN 11-16076): $325 each

Rotating Beacon: Whelen 90520 series Red/White (Spruce PN 11-07616): $539

Interior Map/Nav Lights: LEDLighting.com, (G18 9 LED Light Bulb 12 Volt DC, Color RED, Base: 1156 , SKU 84634R1156): $2.86 each

I also installed a Plane Power 50 amp alternator.

Total cost for LED replacements was just under $1200. With alternator was $2000. I think it was worth it. I have all electronics on at idle and no battery discharge. Controllers have commented how bright the Nav Strobe lights/Rotating beacon are. Compare this to never turning lights on until cleared for take-off and shutting everything off when cleared active (usually forgetting one way or the other).

The interior LED lights are nice because the lamp posts no longer burn my skin when I rotate them. But, you have to make a modification which can be found here: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... d&start=15. It is extremely easy, and totally worth the time.

Page 2 of this link shows the detailed install of the lights. Hope this info is beneficial for someone.

Chris