0-200 runs cold

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: 0-200 runs cold

Post by 6643 »

8322 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:39 am How difficult (expensive) is it to get them calibrated...?
Stick the bulb in a tin can full of water. Boil the water with a propane torch. (Try not to set the plane on fire...) When the water boils, note the reading on the gauge (expect 212F at sea level.) If you have an appropriate thermometer, you can take interim readings as it heats up or cools down to get additional data points.
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Post by 8322 »

6643 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:59 am
8322 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:39 am How difficult (expensive) is it to get them calibrated...?
Stick the bulb in a tin can full of water. Boil the water with a propane torch. (Try not to set the plane on fire...) When the water boils, note the reading on the gauge (expect 212F at sea level.) If you have an appropriate thermometer, you can take interim readings as it heats up or cools down to get additional data points.
Easy enough! I'll put that on to do list. Yea lean side of 150 seems a bit cool just by intuition... Thanks! If its not accurate do you just make note of it to do the adjustment or is their a calibration setting on most? as in is there a little screw or whatnot to adjust the needle reading if its off?

I'm pretty decent at tinkering on cars, I guess this will come in due time... Part of it is I still am unsure what I "Can" and "Can't" do on my bird without an A&P's blessing...
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

8322 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:42 pmIf its not accurate do you just make note of it to do the adjustment or is their a calibration setting on most? as in is there a little screw or whatnot to adjust the needle reading if its off?
No way to adjust it. If it operates smoothly and consistently, and isn't that far off, I'd just make a note of where 180 is and go from there, as long as 180 isn't below the middle of the gauge.
I'm pretty decent at tinkering on cars, I guess this will come in due time... Part of it is I still am unsure what I "Can" and "Can't" do on my bird without an A&P's blessing...
"You can't do anything you've never done before." There is a list of things you can do, as long as you get someone qualified to show you how. Once you've done it once you can sign it off yourself going forward. The list is in Part 43 appendix A under "preventive maintenance." http://www.faa-aircraft-certification.c ... dix-a.html

Removing the temperature bulb is part of changing the oil, so it falls under the preventive maintenance umbrella.
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Post by 8322 »

6643 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:32 pm
8322 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:42 pmIf its not accurate do you just make note of it to do the adjustment or is their a calibration setting on most? as in is there a little screw or whatnot to adjust the needle reading if its off?
No way to adjust it. If it operates smoothly and consistently, and isn't that far off, I'd just make a note of where 180 is and go from there, as long as 180 isn't below the middle of the gauge.
"You can't do anything you've never done before." There is a list of things you can do, as long as you get someone qualified to show you how. Once you've done it once you can sign it off yourself going forward. The list is in Part 43 appendix A under "preventive maintenance." http://www.faa-aircraft-certification.c ... dix-a.html

Removing the temperature bulb is part of changing the oil, so it falls under the preventive maintenance umbrella.
Makes absolute sense!
Name: Michael R
Aircraft Type: 46 140 0-200
Occupation-Interests: Retired!

Post by 6352 »

A follow up to my original post. Per advice from John Cooper, I pulled my oil temp sensor at oil change and immersed in hot water. I boiled water in a teapot using my trusty camp stove, used a cooking thermometer from Walmart to verify the thermometer read about 212 (this will vary somewhat with altitude).sure enough, oil temp gauge in plane read 20 degrees cold from 200 down to 180. So I ain’t worried about cold temps anymore. Thanks to Dean DeRosia for letting me use his hanger for this (and help with the oil change).
Mike Rabe
C140
KDVT
Name: Dean DeRosia
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 6478 »

You're very welcome Mike. Any time :D
Dean DeRosia
N81L
1946 Cessna 140