Oil Change

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Joe B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Oil Change

Post by 8337 »

So it’s about time for me to attempt my first oil change on my C-85. Can anybody point me to a step by step guide or a YouTube video?
How often do you guys change the oil? It’s been about 50 hrs

Thanks
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Oil Change

Post by 6643 »

8337 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:46 amHow often do you guys change the oil? It’s been about 50 hrs
My recommendation - Every twenty-five hours if you don't have a filter, no more than fifty if you do, and at least twice annually regardless of time.
Name: John von Linsowe
Aircraft Type: 48 C-140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

Do you have a spin on filter or just the oil screen? If you have a spin on filter do you still have an oil screen? Reason for asking is if you have a spin on filter and an oil screen you need to clean screen/replace filter. Some screens have been removed when the filter is installed but in not sure I would suggest checking.

Time for Randy to chime in probably. ;) :-)

I drain mine hot or warm into a Homer bucket.

I use a gallon size ziplock bag over the filter when I remove it. Usually can do it without spilling much. My filter is horizontal so there will always be some oil in it. I have a rare earth magnet on my filter as well, it collects the real fine particals that the filter probably wouldn't.
John

Post by 6643 »

The most common oil filter adapter for our engines is the TAF-L. It has been through several owners, most recently Tempest. The STC has always required removal of the screen. The reason is that, once the filter is installed, the screen might be forgotten and not serviced regularly. This could mask serious issues, and also lead to the screen getting clogged. I have seen more than one screen choked with carbon to the point where one of them collapsed.

At one point El Reno was the exclusive distributor of the adapters. They published a set of installation instructions which stated that removal of the screen was optional, but those instructions were never approved by either the STC holder or the FAA.

If you do have both the screen and the filter (if you never tried to service the screen you won't know for sure) then you should remove the screen, but that's between you and your IA. If you chose not to remove it you should at least service it every time you change the oil.
Name: Joe B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8337 »

No filter just the screen.
Name: JC ASI
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Aviation, A&P IA

Post by 7365 »

I change my oil and filter every 25 hours, which for me, is usually about 5 - 6 times a year, and do oil analysis every time as well. Some might consider it overkill, but I can argue it either way.
- Josh
N4151N - Cessna 140 - WN53 - Lake Stevens, WA
Name: Chuck
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired. Comm ASMEL, Istrument, CFI, CFII, MEI, A&P/IA, Flight Engineer.

Re: Oil Change, hot, or cold.

Post by 1307 »

For the sake of discussion. What is the difference between oil changes that have hot oil, and when the oil is cold? I know that some believe heated oil collects all the deposits in the system, and carries them to the oil tank. But with cold oil, the deposits are already in the tank from the previous engine operation. I have my opinion, just curious of other's and why they are.

Post by 6643 »

Cold oil sticks to the inside of the engine. Hot oil drains a lot more easily, and takes the contaminants with it.
Name: Raymond H
Aircraft Type: C-140
Occupation-Interests: Sales Manager of Michigan Merchant Services

Post by 8322 »

There is a YouTube on a 150, I found that googling pretty easy...

I'm going to do mine every 25, my friend Jack suggested to start doing them on them on the "cardinal" numbers, instead of having to keep checking the logbook or remember, at a xx00.0, xx25.0, xx50.0, xx75.0 on the tac... Obviously may not be on the dot but to use that as your reference... And if you fly a few over you don't get off the rythm of on the "cardinal" numbers just to keep it simple...

Speaking of oil changes what your guys thoughts on camguard? My tentative plan is Phillips X/C with Camguard...
Name: John von Linsowe
Aircraft Type: 48 C-140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 5806 »

8322 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:58 pm Speaking of oil changes what your guys thoughts on camguard? My tentative plan is Phillips X/C with Camguard...
Yes.
John