Maule tw zerk

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
vindio
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Maule tw zerk

Post by vindio »

Greetings! New C120 owner here (first post).

Our tailwheel grease fitting/zerk has gone missing. Does anybody know the part #/size to replace it with? I've attached a picture we took right before the zerk departed the airplane.

(alternatively, is this a suitable replacement for the whole plate+zerk assembly? https://www.wagaero.com/wheels-brakes-t ... pma-d.html)
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (208.54 KiB) Viewed 124 times
cdoughty
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Maule tw zerk

Post by cdoughty »

Mine was bent like that and just screwed into the thin hubcap. I replaced with one from Napa with 1/4 28 threads and put nut on backside. Working fine 600 hrs. The clearance on the back is very tight, but it does clear the axel nut.
vindio
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by vindio »

cdoughty wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:57 am Mine was bent like that and just screwed into the thin hubcap. I replaced with one from Napa with 1/4 28 threads and put nut on backside. Working fine 600 hrs. The clearance on the back is very tight, but it does clear the axel nut.
Thanks! I went ahead and purchased the one from Napa, but found that, even properly torqued, etc, it still leaks grease, as the opening through the hub cap is now oversized. Looking to purchase a replacement hub cap, but unfortunately, Wag Aero has gone out of business (and Aircraft Spruce doesn't yet list the part). Right now, we have duct tape covering the opening, and that seems to be doing the trick.

Back to he drawing board ...
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Call them up. Tell them you need the hub cap for a Maule SFSA-1-4, item 18 in the parts diagram.

(Seems ACS now has a monopoly on Maule parts...)
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Post by 6898 »

Welcome and thanks for using the forum ,You will definitely find the people that can answer all here. Plan to attend the technical forum at Oshkosh and our annual convention in northern Illinois to meet and great the group.
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023