How to Confirmation AD Compliance

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
pawalker
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

How to Confirmation AD Compliance

Post by pawalker »

Hello Everyone, is there a resource out there that describes in detail, or shows with pictures how to visually confirm that ADs have been complied with? I know of some, like the extra rivets on the seatbelt attach points, because the AD itself includes a visual element, but I'd love to have something similar for all of them. Our airplane has been through years worth of annuals and always had the AD list signed off but we'd still like to put our own eyes on each for peace of mine. We're particularly interested in those that apply to the tail group. We have confirmed a few of them already but there is some creaking and oil-canning back there that makes us a little uncomfortable. We appreciate any recommendations you have!
Thanks,
Patrick
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: How to Confirmation AD Compliance

Post by 6643 »

Pretty much every AD has an associated Service Bulletin (posted in the library section of the main web site.) They have illustrations, or at least descriptions, of the changes required. I'd start there. If that doesn't make it clear, post a question here and someone probably has photos.
Name: Marshall B
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8434 »

I printed each AD, matched it with service bulletin, part number or procedure which I printed. Then during an annual I inspected each and took photos to confirm compliance. Then I printed those and put all that in a binder. If my AME asks about a specific AD its all there and easy to confirm. I'd suggest the same. Its a lot of work upfront but next years annual will be a breezzzze.
pawalker
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by pawalker »

Thank you both for the service bulletin suggestion, that seems like the way to go since the SD often has a lot more detail!
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

On another note this is another method.

https://adlog.com

When I was a member of a military aero club, all the airplanes in the club were on the AD Log system. It's not free, but it does provide all the current AD's and does provide updates if a new AD is issued pertaining to a particular aircraft, engine and installed accessories, avionics item, and installed propeller.

Basically it's as follows:

"The adlog™ SYSTEM is a total aircraft maintenance recordkeeping system. Its 13/14 color coded indexed sections simplify, organize and centralize all data, providing lightning fast retrieval of all maintenance, airworthiness directive, service bulletin and inspection requirements for your aircraft.

The adlog™ system is comprised of the following:

(1) 3 ring binder, all new 8 1/2 X 11 airframe, engine, propeller and avionics log books, 13 divided tabbed sections (14 for FAR 135 aircraft) to include General Information, Aircraft Inspection Status, Airframe, Engine, Propeller and Avionics logs, Applicable Airworthiness Directives index, AD’s Permanently Complied With, AD’s Requiring Additional Compliance, and sections for Major Repair & Alteration Forms (FAA Form 337), Wt & Balance Papers, Factory Service Notes or Bulletins and 8130 Return to Service Paperwork. All Airworthiness Directives with Index that apply to YOUR aircraft by make/model & serial number, engine & prop by make/model, magneto by make/type and all accessories on our copyrighted adNote™ format. The first years subscription service to the adNote™’s is included with your purchase. After the first year the subscription service for the adNote™ and yearly updated Airworthiness index is $40.00 for single & $43.00 for twins, helicopters and turbine powered aircraft at the present rates in the U.S."

If I remember it costs initially approximately $200, then $40/year for the subscription. If a new AD comes out the company will mail the AD page to you.