337 for rib repair

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Retired Congressional Staff, Navy Reserve Retiree, Former P-3 Flight Engineer, Former aerospace technician

Re: 337 for rib repair

Post by 4945 »

Excellent! Detail C in Figure 4-14, page 4-30 is the closest to my situation. I spoke to another A&P at the airport today, this one a sheet metal guy with a ton of years at United San Francisco as well as general aviation experience. He pointed out that it can be generally similar to the example in the 43-13.1b (which I've been consulting on this and a couple of other issues).

I'm not quite a newbie myself. I have 25 years experience as an airframes/sheet metal/hydraulics tech and flight engineer in the Navy. I know how to do the work, but it's FAR compliance I don't have the experience in. I'm coming up to speed fairly quickly, though. We used aircraft-specific Structural Repair Manuals and a General Manual for Structural Repair (which shares a lot of language and drawings with AC 43-13). Just getting that understanding that getting it generally similar to the book can be adequate has given me some clarity.

Incidentally, I met this other A&P while visiting an IA I'm working with, who's restoring another 120 that used to belong to Jim Barker (not sure if anyone remembers him). The A&P was there to help with replaceing the right horizontal stabilizer leading edge, which is severly dinged up.

Thanks for all the help, folks. I appreciate it.

Gary
Occupation-Interests: Retired Congressional Staff, Navy Reserve Retiree, Former P-3 Flight Engineer, Former aerospace technician

Post by 4945 »

One more note on this subject. The lack of others chiming in with stories about similar issues makes me think that it's really just the set of wings I bought that are the problem. The way the tabs cracked looks like a downward compression on the ribs. That and the slightly crumpled butt rib makes me think someone overshrunk the fabric (Ceconite or other polyester) on a previous re-cover. I have a replacement butt rib, so no problem there.

Gary
Name: John L
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8281 »

4945 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:57 pm I've found an A&P to work with to re-cover a set of wings. The wings need either some new ribs or repairs on ribs where the cap flanges broke at the spar. The A&P pointed out that rib repairs need to be documented on a 337 as a major repair, but replacement doesn't, since it's replacing a part with a new part authorized
for the airplane.
Has anyone done a similar repair and documented it on a 337? Repair would be easier and cheaper than replacement, unless the paper work turns fiddly.

Gary
Name: John L
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 8281 »

4945 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:57 pm I've found an A&P to work with to re-cover a set of wings. The wings need either some new ribs or repairs on ribs where the cap flanges broke at the spar. The A&P pointed out that rib repairs need to be documented on a 337 as a major repair, but replacement doesn't, since it's replacing a part with a new part authorized
for the airplane.
Has anyone done a similar repair and documented it on a 337? Repair would be easier and cheaper than replacement, unless the paper work turns fiddly.

Gary

It shouldn't take no more than an hour to remove the rib in question !
So why not just replace it and be done with it !

John
V529
Name: Victor G
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

4945 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:47 am Excellent! Detail C in Figure 4-14, page 4-30 is the closest to my situation. I spoke to another A&P at the airport today, this one a sheet metal guy with a ton of years at United San Francisco as well as general aviation experience. He pointed out that it can be generally similar to the example in the 43-13.1b (which I've been consulting on this and a couple of other issues).

I'm not quite a newbie myself. I have 25 years experience as an airframes/sheet metal/hydraulics tech and flight engineer in the Navy. I know how to do the work, but it's FAR compliance I don't have the experience in. I'm coming up to speed fairly quickly, though. We used aircraft-specific Structural Repair Manuals and a General Manual for Structural Repair (which shares a lot of language and drawings with AC 43-13). Just getting that understanding that getting it generally similar to the book can be adequate has given me some clarity.

Incidentally, I met this other A&P while visiting an IA I'm working with, who's restoring another 120 that used to belong to Jim Barker (not sure if anyone remembers him). The A&P was there to help with replaceing the right horizontal stabilizer leading edge, which is severly dinged up.

Gary
Former AA pilot and long time EAA super supporter........same guy?

Post by 4945 »

V529 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:19 pm
4945 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:47 am Excellent! Detail C in Figure 4-14, page 4-30 is the closest to my situation. I spoke to another A&P at the airport today, this one a sheet metal guy with a ton of years at United San Francisco as well as general aviation experience. He pointed out that it can be generally similar to the example in the 43-13.1b (which I've been consulting on this and a couple of other issues).

Gary
Jim Barker was an old United mechanic at SFO and sheet metal guy extraordinaire who bought an old Oroweat bread van and set up a mobile aircraft sheet metal shop. He knew a hell of a lot about 120/140s and helped me replace my rear carrythrough spar some time back. He was also a member of the West Coast 120/140 Club. He passed away about 6 months ago.

Gary

Post by 4945 »

8281 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:15 pm
for the airplane.

Gary

It shouldn't take no more than an hour to remove the rib in question !
So why not just replace it and be done with it !

John
Replacement is actually a lot more involved than just making the doublers and riveting them in place. The rivets holding the center sections to the spars also hold the nose and tail ribs, as well. More opportunity to mess up rivet removal in a fairly tight area. I have three used ribs, which I'll use, but the repair is much easier. Less drilling through spars. Either way, it's a major repair or replacement that has to be submitted on a 337. I've gotten pretty good guidance on how to do this using the 43.13.

Gary
V529
Name: Victor G
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

4945 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:08 pm
V529 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:19 pm

Gary
Jim Barker was an old United mechanic at SFO and sheet metal guy extraordinaire who bought an old Oroweat bread van and set up a mobile aircraft sheet metal shop. He knew a hell of a lot about 120/140s and helped me replace my rear carrythrough spar some time back. He was also a member of the West Coast 120/140 Club. He passed away about 6 months ago.

Gary
Thanks, interesting, There was a guy with the same name that flew for AA. He flew the EAA Spirit of St. Louis around on tours in the summers after he retired in the early 80's. He's long gone now, but he did a bunch of speciality work for the EAA, they have a commemortive room in his honor in one of the hangars at Pioneer airport.