Cleaning paint off landing gear and struts

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
rapple
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Cleaning paint off landing gear and struts

Post by rapple »

I have heard that paint stripper can make gear legs and possibly struts brittle. Is there any truth to that? Is there a recommended way to remove paint from these parts without stripper?
Thanks
Rick

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Cell 403-560-5991
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Re: Cleaning paint off landing gear and struts

Post by 8224 »

I have never heard of any commercial paint stripper reacting with the steel on a molecular level but I am the first to admit I know very little about it. The best way to strip paint on steel parts I have found is a cheap 4” grinder from Harbor Freight with a twisted wire wheel. The cost should be less than $30, about the price of a gallon of stripper. Be sure to use eye protection, the little wire “needles” that come off are very dangerous! Will take about five minutes to strip one gear leg.
Steve HAWLEY
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... i=89978449

Good discussion about steel spring gear from our friends over at the International Cessna 170 Association.
Name:
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate pilot

Post by 1125 »

I plan to remove, strip, and repaint the landing gear struts this winter. I'm considering walnut shell blasting, since several people I have spoken with feel this is the least problematic of the options available.
I also plan to remove, blast, and repaint the lift struts. Any issues with walnut shell blasting on these? These struts are not original, they were purchased from Univair in the early '90's during the rebuild from tornado damage.

Any recommendations of primer and final coat of paint would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Tom
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

1125 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:54 pm I plan to remove, strip, and repaint the landing gear struts this winter. I'm considering walnut shell blasting, since several people I have spoken with feel this is the least problematic of the options available.
I also plan to remove, blast, and repaint the lift struts. Any issues with walnut shell blasting on these? These struts are not original, they were purchased from Univair in the early '90's during the rebuild from tornado damage.

Any recommendations of primer and final coat of paint would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Tom
Personally, it's been my experience that blasting with walnut shells is slow if not an impossible process of removing any but the thinest of applied paint. Walnut shells are great for general cleaning, but I've found the material just doesn't have the abrasive power to remove any well painted surface. Light sanding with 320-400 grit paper will give better results, and any worries concerning metal removal is minimal if one doesn't get carried away. On the other hand, you could use glass beads on the wing struts at lower pressures of around 40 psi. With the lower pressures it will require longer to remove any coatings unless very light, but any metal removal is nil. One product not to use is any type of sand product, i.e. builders or play sand. Sand grains have sharp shards that will remove metal. Use of sand is best left for use on very thick steel, not aircraft parts in my humble opinion.

As far as primer and paint, that subject and recommendations are all over the board, but for the best most durable coatings plan on using an epoxy primer followed by epoxy paint. If you plan on using epoxy primer and polyurethane paint it is highly recommended that you stick with one manufacturer's product, i.e. Poly-Fiber EP Epoxy Primer followed by Poly-Fiber Aerothane, Randolph EP Epoxy Primer followed by Ranthane Polyurethane to name a few. As mentioned above it is highly recommended that you stick with one manufacturer's product, please don't get in the habit of mixing one manufacturer's products with those of another which can be a recipe for disaster. As far as other coatings that are not epoxy/polyurethane many folks have had good success, but for the maximum protection, you can't go wrong with epoxy primer/polyurethane.

I'm not familiar with Stewart Systems products, but some folks rave about the system products. Products are water based, and don't pose the health issues as associated with the Poly-Fiber, Randolph, or PPG products. You can look up what others have said using Stewart Systems on one good site known as "Vans Airforce" where members discuss the use of Stewart Systems.

If you get a chance take a look at the articles from the International C-170 Association as listed above, those folks have some very good information on the rust removal from landing gear and protection of the surfaces.

Hope you have good results!
Name:
Aircraft Type: 120
Occupation-Interests: Corporate pilot

Post by 1125 »

Great info. Thanks for the reply. I am researching this in more depth, since january and february are non flying months here in Wisconsin. Hopefully, we'll be done by March.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

The 170 information is really good. You need to understand 'spring steel' and 'shot peening' before you go to work on the gear.