Aluminum Fuel Tank Cover

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: John G
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Aluminum Fuel Tank Cover

Post by 8425 »

Hi All
I am interested in adding an aluminum fuel tank skins on a fabric wing 140. It looks like it should be straight forward structurally. just add #8 platenuts on the inboard and outboard ribs, and front and rear spars. I would plan to use a similar number and type of fasteners as the 140A uses for a similar cover arrangement. I would also add some diagonal supports for the outboard tank rib to support fabric tension, similar to how Piper does it... Am I missing something. Yes I know I am fixing something that isn't broken, but IF I ever need to get to the tank..... Does anyone have a sample 337, or field approval that I could get a copy of for this mod? If anyone knows the N# of a 140 with this mod, I can order a CD of the paperwork from the FAA.

Thanks for any help

John Groeneveld
N76256 four years into a total restoration
Name: Jeff T
Aircraft Type: 48 140 C90
Occupation-Interests: Auto,Marine&Aviation Repair

Re: Aluminum Fuel Tank Cover

Post by 6898 »

I've wondered why they are not accessible too? We put new tanks in a PA-12 restoration 18 years ago and they have been removed twice for leaks. Thinking our tanks are better construction process and maybe heavier material? anyway knock on wood mine are good and no need to overthink it? PS still planning on flying down but finding time is a pain in my a_ _ Build on JEFF
Jeff T 1948 C-140 NC3600V
Past President 120 140 Assoc. 2019-2023