Help with Exhaust

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Blasting people into the sky with rockets.

Help with Exhaust

Post by 8170 »

I am doing my annual and it seems like every year I am patching together the shrouds and this year I need to either source some new ones or change the exhaust over to 150 style. I really like the straight pipes and was considering buying some new ones (mine appear to have been welded a number of times in the last 70+ years) but if I cant find the shrouds what alternative to I have? are their other alternatives to the full shrouds that would still provide cabin and carb heat? Interested in your thoughts. TIA

Joe
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"
Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Blasting people into the sky with rockets.

Re: Help with Exhaust

Post by 8170 »

Anyone?
"Some people spend their entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference, the Marines don't have that problem"
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

Years ago I contemplated making some shrouds using technology from 1939 Ercoupe drawings, but I never got a round tuit. As far as I know there are only two options: patch yours some more or go with one of the C-150 exhaust STCs. Guaranteed you'll never notice a difference in performance.
round tuit.jpg
round tuit.jpg (192.35 KiB) Viewed 192 times
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by meloosifah »

I love my 1946 140. Love the eclectic and antique nature of it. I still have the drop-down Grimes landing light. I have the piano keys and the completely non-functional instrument layout. I love every bit of it. About five years ago I did the 150 exhaust, and 300 hours later I have never once wished that I had not done that. My exhaust is not even something I think about at annual time now. My heat works. My carb heat works. The plane didn’t lose a single mile per hour in speed or foot per minute in climb. It’s a no brainer.
beaverbill
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by beaverbill »

I have a pair of exhaust stacks and heat shrouds from a 1947 120. The stacks are not much but the shrouds ( heat muffs ) look to still have life left in them. Send me something for postage and they are yours.
Bill