Airtex headliner and panels

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Garry Z
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests:

Airtex headliner and panels

Post by 8079 »

While installing a set of Hooker Shoulder harnesses I chose to replace the headliner and upper panels.
Purchased the Airtex headliner kit and now installing the parts I find they do not fit very well.
The precovered panels are to thick to fit in the original moldings and the precut holes for the fuel gauges and the back of the seat anchors at on the rear doorpost are not correct.
I am now taking the panels apart to reconstruct as needed.
This is on my 1946 C140.
Has any one else used the Airtex interior and what did you find?
Name: Fred
Occupation-Interests: "Fly Navy" P3C

Re: Airtex headliner and panels

Post by 6182 »

Disappointed somewhat with Airtex. Purchased entire kit for interior, very good quality and well constructed, however, some cutting adjustments for door Panals and carpet was needed, same issues as with initial post. However, Most important issue was the headliner. They had offered to instal and after several attempts at scheduling over several months, apparently they had other priorities, which I can understand considering their volume with high end a/c. No return calls lately, advising either way, is the disturbing part. I'm at a loss now to find someone who would do a good job. Just had plane painted, looks outstanding! At a loss re attaching headliner with recent installed skylites didn't see any clips or other attachments when removing old. Any info would help.
Name: Al Mason
Aircraft Type: 140A
Occupation-Interests: Airline Pilot

Post by 6356 »

Do yourself a favor and spend the $25 for the Headliner DVD from Lorraine Morris. It covers the 120/140 and 140A. I did my own install, it can be done just take your time and your results will be good.

Al
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Do your skylights have a small lip/ring around them? The fabric "clips" in place on that ring.

Hard to describe without a picture, but basically I cut out an oval thin aluminum ring, glued the fabric to it, then pressed it over the lip on the sky light. Looks like a "professional job".

Post by 6182 »

Appreciate info, will order video. Thin lip around skylites present, have old rings, didn't appear to hold and remain in position, which led to my concern. TKS
Fred
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

Fred,

I made my "rings out of .032 aluminum. The originals were a form of waxed cardboard............(I think, long time since I saw any and pitched them........also long ago) Mine clamp in plenty tight.
Name: Franklin B
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by 4390 »

The guy I just bought my 120 from replace the complete interior and he said the headliner was a big pain to get in. But it looks great now.

Post by 6182 »

Victor
I have original thin metal rings, will use them for instal. Kit came with plastic fiber rings that were cut to shape. Contact info for Lorraine Morris? I'm new to using this blog, although long time member. I also found Wrights excellent front "prop" seal article, will share with my A/P re my oil spray on canopy.
Name: Al Mason
Aircraft Type: 140A
Occupation-Interests: Airline Pilot

Post by 6356 »

http://taildraggeraviation.com/

Purchase the DVD here..

My email is awm60@tt.net

Feel free to email me, I can send you some pics .

Al

Post by 6182 »

Tks Al, received Headliner DVD , wealth of information and worth it! I know I'd better stick to my day job, but will obviously take my time ! It answers all my questions and then some.