Interference Between Marvel Schebler Carburetor and Engine Oil Sump Baffle

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Chris B
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140
Occupation-Interests:

Interference Between Marvel Schebler Carburetor and Engine Oil Sump Baffle

Post by 7757 »

I just got my C-85 back from overhaul. I decided to replace the old Stromberg carburetor with a new Marvel Schebler. While fitting everything back together, my mechanic discovered an interference between the new carb and the baffle that sits in front of the oil tank (0450166 Baffle Assembly - Engine Oil Sump, Figure and Reference Number 37-45, Page 72, of the Illustrated Parts Catalog).

For those of you with Marvel Schebler carbs, could you post photos of your installations? Do we need to cut a hole in the baffle piece to clear the carb? Or are we doing something wrong in our installation? (I mean, the carb and the oil tank both bolt right onto the engine, meaning their position relative to each other is pretty much fixed, so I don't see how we could mess up the installation...)

Am I the first person to stumble upon this...? Other info...It's a 1946 with straight exhaust pipes. Not sure what other info would be relevant to this issue...

Thanks in advance for any help.

-- Chris B
Chris B.
1946 C140