Tech Tips Changing Engine Mount Rubber Isolators

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Tech Tips Changing Engine Mount Rubber Isolators

Post by edidin »

Going to change the isolators. Just wondering if there are any tips and tricks from someone who has done them recently. Standard AN6 bolt version.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Re: Tech Tips Changing Engine Mount Rubber Isolators

Post by 6643 »

Support the engine with a hoist, and don't over tighten the bolts. If you have the Cessna spacers than stop when you "hit" them, otherwise 60-80 inch lbs is the spec. Use two AN970-616 washers in the front of each mount, or one Continental part 21530.
Name: Randy Thompson
Aircraft Type: Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes and engines

Post by 6298 »

Like John says, use a hoist. I usually remove the nuts and washers on the bottom two mounts. You can remove and replace the lower rubbers, tighten them, and then replace the uppers by gradually lowering the hoist. Don’t over torque.
Randy Thompson A&P IA Pilot
Hold STC SA547EA for installation of O-200 engine in Cessna 120/140 and 140A"s
Overhaul small Continentals
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

edidin wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:30 am Going to change the isolators. Just wondering if there are any tips and tricks from someone who has done them recently. Standard AN6 bolt version.
Just curious, why are you changing the isolators?
Time? dry rot? vibration? something else?
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

Thanks John and Randy for the tips, torques, and order of operations.

The rubber is quite dried out in my opinion, likely on the aircraft for several decades, assuming they were even replaced the last time the engine was off its mount!

Have all new hardware coming tomorrow and should give it a do on Thursday.
V529
Name: Victor G
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Work on airplanes till the cows come home..........they're still out.

Post by V529 »

edidin wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:51 am Thanks John and Randy for the tips, torques, and order of operations.

The rubber is quite dried out in my opinion, likely on the aircraft for several decades, assuming they were even replaced the last time the engine was off its mount!

Have all new hardware coming tomorrow and should give it a do on Thursday.
Thank you, I'm just trying to keep track of "trends" and was wondering if you were experiencing vibrations or any other abnormalities. My own isloators (0-200) will be getting replaced soon........why? cuz it's "time".
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

I decided to replace all the isolation in the aircraft. First did the panel isolators since they were sagging and causing the Av-30 to sometimes contact the structural airframe which would really annoy the MEMs gyros inside. Found that two were the crappy $4 ones so changed to a full set of real Lord mounts.

Looked over the engine and the bottom conical isolators looked tired. Pulled all 8 isolators and also replaced all the hardware (AN6, 616s, and 970s). This install, unlike a J3/C-85 did recently had the bushings inside the isolators, which are specified in the Cessna parts manual (along with an asterisk to see Continental manual which does not seem to show the bushings...).

The old isolators were pretty tired and the bushing had worn the bottom ones quite asymmetrically and to a rather thin condition. Of course without the bushings might not have had that failure mode.

Tightened to about 75 in-lb and all was well. In particular, the vibration previously felt when reducing power to about 1400-1600 at say key position on downwind was gone. Cruise seemed a little nicer too. C-85 stoker.
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

6643 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:10 pm Support the engine with a hoist, and don't over tighten the bolts. If you have the Cessna spacers than stop when you "hit" them, otherwise 60-80 inch lbs is the spec. Use two AN970-616 washers in the front of each mount, or one Continental part 21530.
What's the best way to determine if you've hit the spacers? Sudden increase in torque? I'm at about 75 in-lb but wondering if that might be a little low given I did re-install the spacers.
Name: John C
Aircraft Type: 1946 C140/C90
Occupation-Interests: A&P, semi-retired

Post by 6643 »

edidin wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:16 pm What's the best way to determine if you've hit the spacers? Sudden increase in torque?
Yes. You go from compressing rubber to compressing steel tubing.