UAvionix AV-30-C users

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Huey Pilot
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired

Re: UAvionix AV-30-C users

Post by 2356 »

I have the Stratus/Appareo transponder ADSB system. The transponder has the same dimensions as my old King KT76A. This system works great with Foreflight. I also use an electric turn co-ordination.
rominoff
Name: Bradley Bell
Aircraft Type: '47 C140; '48 NAVI
Occupation-Interests: Software & Systems Development; A&P/IA

Post by rominoff »

I too added the temp probe on the av30, works great. I went with the Stratus ADSB/Transponder ESG install: https://stratusbyappareo.com/products/s ... nsponders/ No concerns seems solid. I know I can get the experimental AV-Link, but waiting a little longer is ok too. What i really want is the stc'd magnetometer coupled to the software update -should be a good DG at that point.
hotrodmac
Name: Lance B
Aircraft Type: C140
Occupation-Interests: Information Technology

Post by hotrodmac »

2356 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:02 pm I have the Stratus/Appareo transponder ADSB system. The transponder has the same dimensions as my old King KT76A. This system works great with Foreflight. I also use an electric turn co-ordination.
I second the stratus ESG system! I have it in both my 140 and the 150 I fly regularly. They’ve been rock solid and were a fairly affordable solution. If you only have one plane, I strongly recommend the ESGi. It gets you a Stratus bolted to the firewall and it just works.
'46 C140 - Flying
Kitfox SS7 - Building
meloosifah
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by meloosifah »

I have no vacuum system in my 140. Electric TC and a Dynon D3. Transponder and Tailbeacon give me ADSB out. Stratus and iPad give me ADSB in. I love it. Light weight and all I need for VFR plus the Dynon gives an AI for peace of mind. I am planning to replace the electric TC with an electric T&B or electric AI.
edidin
Name:
Aircraft Type:
Occupation-Interests:

Post by edidin »

I fly three AV-30s in three aircraft, two of which are IFR. As an AI the unit is fine, easy to read and responsive. As an AI it is only primary for attitude and slip. That's it. It is also primary for heading in DG mode, but at this point would not recommend its use as a DG. Without an external magnetometer (supposedly soon to be certified, only experimental at present) it just drifts too much. If connected via RS-232 to a GPS it will also function as a lateral deviation only HSI. Very useful feature in some installations.

I've had no issues over hundreds of hours in use with the AV-30s to date.