Anyone installed a Matco tailwheel?

Ask Questions and Offer Advice Related to the Cessna 120 & 140 Type

Moderators: 6643, 6183, V529

Forum rules
You must be a member of the Cessna 120-140 Association in order to post new topics, reply to existing topics, or search for information on this forum. Use the "Join" link in the red menu bar.
Name: Dave Sprinkle
Aircraft Type: 140
Occupation-Interests: Engineer

Anyone installed a Matco tailwheel?

Post by 8475 »

My 140 presently has a Scott 3200 tailwheel. It also has an aft CG. I'd like to claw some of this back by installing a lighter tailwheel. I'm thinking about a Matco tailwheel, WHLT-6P. The swap would save me 3.45 lbs. The problem is that this tailwheel is intended for experimental airplanes. My IA wants to know if anyone out there in 140-land has successfully submitted a 337 for the installation of this tailwheel. Has anyone done this? If so, would you be willing to share your 337?
Name: David Sbur
Aircraft Type: '46 140 0-200A
Occupation-Interests: Agriculture

Re: Anyone installed a Matco tailwheel?

Post by 6597 »

Do you have extenders on the main gears? Just a thought.....

Post by 8475 »

6597 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:58 pm Do you have extenders on the main gears? Just a thought.....
No extenders on this plane.
But you bring up an interesting point.
Extenders would certainly put more weight on the tail when on the ground, but their presence should have minimal effect on shifting the CG. They have relatively low mass, and they have a short arm relative to the datum.
Name: Mac Forbes
Aircraft Type: '46 Cessna 140
Occupation-Interests: Retired - Current 120-140 Assoc. NC Rep.

Post by 2066 »

No RE the Matco, 'though they really appear to be quality tail wheels. Gaining approval may be a challenge for the reasons you mention, but let's hope someone may yet step up with a successful installation story. That said, have you considered the Lang (formerly Decker) D-501 steerable tail wheel? It's lighter, FAA/PMA & on the Type data sheet so no prob with using on our aircraft...although like everything else (aircraft parts and eggs! ;) ) it's pretty expensive these days.
Mac
tonycondon
Name: Tony
Aircraft Type: C-120
Occupation-Interests: Pilot, CFI, DPE

Post by tonycondon »

Why is your CG aft?
N2395N
Name: Mike Smith
Aircraft Type: 140A (2) 1949 & 1950
Occupation-Interests: Retired aerial power line patrol pilot for Gulf Power Co
120-140 Assoc. Florida Rep. N9633A & N9688A

Post by 6183 »

If your airplane has an aft CG it would be wise to find out why rather than just changing the tailwheel to a smaller unit to try to rectify the aft CG issue. Cessna per the type certificate of the 140 and 140A aircraft approved the Scott 3200 for use on both of the aircraft types. Again if you have an aft CG issue you should find the reason why and correct that. My good friend Mac Forbes has mentioned that the FAA/PMA approval is a must for those tailwheel assemblies not listed in the type certificate data.
2066 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:39 pm No RE the Matco, 'though they really appear to be quality tail wheels. Gaining approval may be a challenge for the reasons you mention, but let's hope someone may yet step up with a successful installation story. That said, have you considered the Lang (formerly Decker) D-501 steerable tail wheel? It's lighter, FAA/PMA & on the Type data sheet so no prob with using on our aircraft...although like everything else (aircraft parts and eggs! ;) ) it's pretty expensive these days.
Mac

Post by 2066 »

6183 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:44 am If your airplane has an aft CG it would be wise to find out why rather than just changing the tailwheel to a smaller unit to try to rectify the aft CG issue. Cessna per the type certificate of the 140 and 140A aircraft approved the Scott 3200 for use on both of the aircraft types. Again if you have an aft CG issue you should to find the reason why and correct that. My good friend Mac Forbes has mentioned that the FAA/PMA approval is a must for those tailwheel assemblies not listed in the type certificate data.
2066 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:39 pm No RE the Matco, 'though they really appear to be quality tail wheels. Gaining approval may be a challenge for the reasons you mention, but let's hope someone may yet step up with a successful installation story. That said, have you considered the Lang (formerly Decker) D-501 steerable tail wheel? It's lighter, FAA/PMA & on the Type data sheet so no prob with using on our aircraft...although like everything else (aircraft parts and eggs! ;) ) it's pretty expensive these days.
Mac
Good point & suggestion, Mike. I expect that Dave may well have already double-checked numbers, but for some of us who may be sometimes math challenged (...don't ask how I know this :roll: ) it's all too easy to err with a total "formal" weighing & balance check, so even that may be worth double checking before chasing a fix(?). The other extreme, of course, but I've seen a couple of "too far fore" over the years that turned out not to be when re-weighed and/or recheck of computations, for example.
Mac

Post by 8475 »

Good news. I just received a field approval from the FAA Oakland FSDO for the installation of a Matco WHLT-8LD tailwheel on my 140. I'll be happy to share the 337 if anyone is interested. (I tried to upload it, but was unable due to size.) Send me a PM.

Post by 2066 »

Congrats, Dave -- thanks for the update!